• Trials Marlins

Here are a few photos from my motor club (Stroud and District) autumn trial
    At the last count i believe we have 12 Marlin Roadsters in the club
    DSC_1020edit.jpgDSC_0484edit.jpgDSC_0568edit.jpgDSC_0489edit.jpg

Re: Trials Marlins

Any body else trial their Marlins?

Comment

Some good action shots there. Trials Marlins nearly always look less battered than other trials cars.
      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

MarkG, I have sent you a PM.

Comment

What modifications do you need to have a successful trials Marlin? Presumably, the sWB versions would be better?

Comment

A good understanding of the rules!

here or there
            MOC member since 05/97
            1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
            Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

You are quit limited to what you can modify to stay a group 7 car (Kit Car class).
              Wheels can be maximum 14 inch in diameter and tyres from an approved list and you can carry a maximum of two spares .
              Oil sump and fuel tank guards ,most use Ital Van rear axle and suspension
              Plus have a hydraulic handbrake fitted to control the car while going back down the hill never use your foot brake or you will slid out of control
              and you are allowed ballast only very few have roll bars then for safety you must carry a fire extinguisher spill kit and tow rope

Comment

What wheels are you using ?

Comment

14inch MG Rostyle

Comment

Anything in the Chester area?

Comment

I don’t know I’m based in Gloucestershire
                      There are event all over the country have a google for a local club

Comment

I’m hoping to do my first trial with the Ilkley and District Motor Club next Sunday, two weeks after buying my Roadster. It’s supposed to be a good beginners event.
                        Original builder of SWB Cabrio chassis no. 04-33 reg. no. CRN540Y - had a 2.8L Cologne V6 when I sold it in 2011
                        Briefly owned Marlin Berlinetta Q670XBB for about 4 months in 2012
                        Did own SWB Marian 1800TC Roadster Q741LPP - modified for trials by Fourtune Engineering
                        Now own Marlin Sportster with 3.5L BMW straight six powerplant P764DOD - proof that absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Good luck
                            How trials ready is your roadster and how much ballast are you planning on carrying

Comment

Thanks. The car was trials prepared by Fourtune engineering for its previous owner. It has a x2 spare wheel carrier plus toolbox, raised ride height, ally sump guard, etc.. Its done a few trials back in the 2000's, but hasn't been used much for the past few years. I've spoken to the organiser of the Ilkley trial who know's the car and he reckons the trial on the 2nd of December is a fairly gentle intro, mostly on farmland. I wasn't planning on carrying any extra ballast.
                              Original builder of SWB Cabrio chassis no. 04-33 reg. no. CRN540Y - had a 2.8L Cologne V6 when I sold it in 2011
                              Briefly owned Marlin Berlinetta Q670XBB for about 4 months in 2012
                              Did own SWB Marian 1800TC Roadster Q741LPP - modified for trials by Fourtune Engineering
                              Now own Marlin Sportster with 3.5L BMW straight six powerplant P764DOD - proof that absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Comment

Working...
                              X