Instrument bulbs not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instrument bulbs not working

Can anyone advise where I should start troubleshooting ? All the lights in the dashboard went out at the same time,but everything else seems to be working.I have checked all fuses in the main fuse holder,and I can't find any loose wires, is there any other fuse that protects the instruments? My car is Marina based with a Pinto engine. Any advice or similar experiences would be appreciated.

Re: Instrument bulbs not working

Hi John, since every car is different if you don't have a reliable wiring diagram from the builder there could be a fuse located anywhere but I'd have a look under the dash as that seems the most likely place if it is only the inst. lights that have failed.

Comment

Hi John,
      If all of the lights have stopped working you need to check the earth connection to the dashboard.All lights that require an earth are panel illumination, indicators and main beam indicator.
      On the original Marina instruments these were connected via a plastic printed circuit board on the back of the instruments and this circuit board quite often cracked with the loss of one or more connections.
      The earth came from a connection on the voltage stabiliser which was also fitted to the printed circuit board.
      If new instruments were fitted it may be that the existing wiring was followed when modifying the Marina dash wiring.
      Have you done any work on the car or electrics recently?
      Did the lights stop working while you were using the car?
      As Hugh says every car is different so all I can say is good luck with your search.

Regards Austin

Comment

Andrew Brown's law for Marlins states that when anything electrical stops working it is due to problems with the earth. Of course the ignition light is earthed through the alternator and the oil pressure light via the pressure switch in the block, the live feed comes from the ignition switch. You could run a temporary wire from the ignition switch protected by a 10 amp fuse in case you have a short to the live side of the oil or ignition light. The instrument lights are usually fed from the sidelight terminal of the light switch, once again a temporary lead should establish whether everything else works. Finally a stupid question, could all of the bulbs have blown?
        Good luck

Tony

Comment

Working...
        X