Castor Angles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Castor Angles

I've almost completed a YKC Romero build and the steering self centering is not particularly good.

One end of the tie bar fastens into the TCA, the other end into the chassis front through a nylon bush and U shaped bracket. The anchor bolt running fore and aft.

If I remove a couple of mm off the front of the bush and pack the rear with a spacer should this increase the castor and improve things.

Any advice please would be appreciated.

Re: Castor Angles

Joe
    Sorry to say that I'm not familiar with this set-up which uses a 'micro strut'. It has always been an issue with Marina based cars and to some extent can be improved by moving the upper pivot arm fore and aft by repositioning spacers. Is the mounting point for the top of the strut 'fixed'. Another thought - are the track contol arms on the correct side of vehicle [fairly sure these are Ford Sierra so are handed]. Some sportster builders have experienced this with their cars though again they have different components

Comment

Hi Joe,
      On my Roadster when I converted it to balljoint tie rods, I took the oportunity to increase the castor from the normal Marina 2deg. or so to, as close as I can measure, 5deg.
      by pulling the bottom of the lowed arm forward using the tie rods. I found it was important to slacken off all the bolts holding the bottom arms together before pulling the arm forward and then re-tightening them to allow the lower joints to settle into their new position.
      The other thing that seems to be out on the Marina based Roadsters is the camber angle . The N/S wheel leans out at the top and the O/S in at the top. I've followed Terry Reed in Kendal in his solution to this and fitted a 5mm. spacer to the bottom of the N/S arm to chassis mounting so that both wheels are now in at the top by 2½mm.
      Between the two mods. the steering is now very responsive with good self centering and much better truer running on the road.
      While I realise this is perhaps not completely applicable to your car I hope it may point you in the right direction to sort out your problem.
      If you can post some pics of your setup it may help others to offer some solutions.
      Best of luck.

Comment

Hi Guys, Castor Angles. My nephew has now put these pics on for me, is this of any help to you answering me my problem? Many thanks, Regards, Joe.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Joe, Steve here, hope you are well, long time no speak.
          I think i might be able to help you with your castor problem.

You need to make to make sure that the strut top mounting plates(in photo 1) are fitted to the chassis so that each strut top mounting hole is facing forward and outermost from the chassis, if that makes sense!!. You may not spot it at first but the mounting holes are offset for this (castor and camber) particular reason. Sorry to be so vague in terms of geometry values but i dont have this exact info to hand at this time.
          However if you need any more help Joe then please dont hesitate to call me. Regards Steve 07966 201106 / 01904 608983

Comment

Working...
          X