Frontline RTL rear axle linkage - road tested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frontline RTL rear axle linkage - road tested

finally fitted and now road tested the RTL linkage fitted to my Roadster SWB Marina rear axle. Before the car had a mind of it's own and would wander around on bumpy roads and one had to counter steer to keep it in a straight line - The RTL linkage was fitted after alterations to allow it to be bolted onto the chassis cross beam. Brackets sandwiched between spring and axle for the arms. See earlier photos on this forum. The results without adjustment are quite marked. The car handles very well, no sideways movement in the axle even under hard cornering. Very positive feel to the car now. I did fit new spax front and back, new springs and HD tie bars in front axle, new ventilated brakes and ford stubs also. They work very well too !! All in all the conversion has been well worth while and the little car now handles as it should do. Whats more, nothing as yet has fallen off so a few more miles and the odd adjustment we should
    have a useful handling car at long last last. thanks for all previous comments and advice from the forum - regards Mike L-S
    Attached Files

Re: Frontline RTL rear axle linkage - road tested

Well done Mike...good to hear all that work has paid dividends. Certainly something for me to think about as an alternative to the existing Panhard, which will have to be modified in any event to fit the Sprint axle.

Just out of interest you mention changing the stub axles and adding vented discs...does this mean you changed the entire upright or have you managed to fit Ford stubs to the existing (Marina or Triumph?) upright... I'm interested because of the need to upgrade braking and there's plenty of Ford stuff about to fit inside 13" wheels.

Cheers

Jez
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

hi Jez, yes finally fitted the RTL after modifications to enable it to be bolted onto the cross section of the chassis. You will notice a flat bar welded in place of the Frontline angled brackets which I had to cut off. Needs to do a few miles to ease the new springs in as the rear is a bit tight and stiff at present.

I fitted a complete new stub axle and Ford discs which were drilled to suit Marina stud spaces. I'm afraid I cheated and went to JLH Minor Restorations Ltd. They had done a conversion in the past. It almost fitted but not quite and the hubs had to be re machined to my dimensions. We did finally sort it all out and they work very well indeed - Ford XR ventilated discs etc, drilled and grooved. Jonathon there now knows the original problems and has the correct drawings for further hubs so should not cause any future problems. The original back plates are discarded as the conversion comes with new plates to fit the Ford callipers. All this is a bit expensive I'm afraid, I don't have machine tools at my disposal these days so have to resort to outside help. Not sure how effective your Panhard rod is compared with the RTL but my conversion certainly holds the back end in place. I think it is a combination of all the changes, springs, bushes and new Spax shocks. These I have set at the soft settings at present. The RTL is expected to help to prevent body roll, this is certainly the case as the ride is very positive. I think what I will do is to disconnect the unit and try a drive without it - will report back on my findings -
      regards Mike L-S

Comment

Thanks Mike...just to be sure, the kit comes with a new hub which fits to the standard Marina upright & stub (and so sme wheel bearings)? What size calipers are they? 48mm I'm guessing, so no changes to master cylinder...

Hmmm...once I've paid off todays rolling road bill I might be tempted...160bhp requires something more than Girling Type 14 calipers and unvented discs..!!
        Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
        Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

hi Jez, the brake conversion comes complete with hubs, bearings and seals, backplates and calipers (sliding type) your master cylinder should be ok but best to check that out - JLH tel:01926 817890 (Jonathan)
          The unit should fit onto the standard stub axles and uprights - I did think about 15" wheels and hence larger brakes but my wheels and tyres were in perfect condition.

I did have to change the bolts sent to me with the kit, some were not quite long enough and the backplate I drilled to match the stub axle drilling and fitted larger bolts - its all obvious once you get down to it. The machining of the hub was not correct so had to go back to be sorted with my detailed drawing. Oh, the kit comes with SS hoses as well.

Was it worth it - well the old calipers were past their best so forced me into replacements - the result is better than the old brakes, remember I have not driven the car for 8 years and it was laid up by the previous owner for 5 years so you can imagine the state of the brakes!!!

Anything you want to discuss call 01473 710457 - regards Mike L-S

Comment

Working...
          X