replacement wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacement wheels

following up on 'biro' in the mag i have just finished fitting replacement wheels to the roadster. the following may help others. My roadster has marina front end, Triumph Dolly Sprint back axle, and was running on 13inch compomotive alloys. I got a set of 4 5spoke alloys off a MGTF, (same PCD as both axles) a set of 60mm ford studs with 12mm thread. they have the same 1/2inch spline as both axles and a set of MG nuts to match the wheels (take care here as MG use 3 different nut patterns for different wheels) The wheels have a negative offset so need a 15mm spacer on the front, and 15-20 mm on the rear. having got it all together it was a strait forward job to change over, Photos will follow when the rain stops.

Re: replacement wheels

A couple of questions;
    Presumably with 15mm spacers you used hubcentric ones. Did you keep a note of the dimensions of the standard MGF hub or do some stock hubcentric spacers fit?

MGF's tended to be fitted with different tyres from front to back, the fronts usually 185/55 R15 with 205/50 R15 on the rear. Is this the only reason for the wider spacer on the rear?

And finally,
    What are the differences in MGF wheel nuts?

Comment

to answer in order the spacers were stock flat items from Gunson, ebayed as new old stock. the wheels I ended up with have 185x55x15 on the front and 195x50x15 on the rear, and the differance in spacer is to clear the suspension upright and steering arm on the front, and to offset the slightly narrower rear track. some of the MGs have a 60Deg. taper on the nuts, others have a flat seat (like wolfrace used to use) and the ons I have have a spherical seat with a captive washer on the nut. they are not interchangable, and the hole in the wheel is huge, about 22mm dia. hope this helps

Comment

I have done some web research.
        This might be helpful in making the choice of wheels.
        http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/suspension/wheel_options_for_the_mgf.htm

Gunson no longer advertise wheel spacers so NOS is the only possibility from them.
        Certainly using a 15mm spacer I would advise the hubcentric type to relieve any possible centering load on the studs and to reduce any balance issues. It may be that hubcentric spacers from the smaller Vauxhall cars could be redrilled and bored to suit the Marina hubs.

Comment

Merv,
          Have you got any pictures???? I have been trying to get round to fitting my MGF alloys for well over a year and still have not managed it. I need to remove the rear hubs to swap to longer studs.
          Do you have any vibration issues??
          Steve's hubcentric comments only really apply to more modern cars, not our oldies. The Marina wheel was always intended to be centered by the tapered wheel nuts, not by the central hole like modern cars. I had a very long conversation with a very knowledgeable chap at Compomotive about this issue many years ago. You can tell by the fact that if you look at the front hub, it has not been machined to a specific tolerance. I measured the diameter of mine only to discover that there is about 1.2 mm difference between each side, but also a different diameter from the rear.
          I guess what I am trying to say is that if you do have vibration problems then the only correct solution would be to have the hubs machined first, then special hubcentric spacers made to locate the MGF wheels correctly. This would negate the whole point of the exercise which is to get 15" wheels for not much money.
          Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
          - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Hi Jon, i will post some photos as soon as, Been a bit hecktic this week with a wedding for my son! but to answer the only vibrations come from an old tyre which has since been changed, and an ovel drum which i have to machine out asap. by using the ford studs we get the 1/2 inch spline, and the 12x1.5 metric thread and a range of sizes from about 40 to 75 mm long, it seems to work ok for me, so good luck with yours.

Comment

Not wanting to upstage Merv but I aquired some 15" MGF Minilite style alloys, keeeping a sort of period style without getting carried away.
              I have only bolted them on for a picture show, I have not changed studs, nuts, or fitted spacers.
              These are the front
              Attached Files

Comment

These are the rear.
                Shame you cant post 4 pictures in one go.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X