Rear discs for a Sprint axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear discs for a Sprint axle

My version of MGF discs bolted on a Dolomite Sprint axle.

Lots of pictures so not possible on here.
    Last edited by stevejgreen; 16-01-12, 09:27 PM.

Re: Rear discs for a Sprint axle

For those who cannot access the fastmarina forum, here are a couple of pics.

I based my idea on the standard Marina front caliper bracket design and had some brackets laser cut before bending, and then welded bosses in place.
    The MGF disc is then bored to fit the Sprint hub, the PCD is correct, and a small mod made to the hub itself.

After checking that the MGF carrier clears the disc evenly, fit the whole caliper assembly direct from an MGF including the handbrake cable setup.

Rover handbrake cables (not MGF) and a modified Marina/Marlin handbrake mechanism complete the job.

According to calculations from Jez Cox and others there is no need for a brake balance valve. Only a road test when the weather improved will prove this.
    Attached Files

Comment

Coming along nicely Steve. Look forward to a road test report soon.

Hopefully it'll warm up soon...an unheated garage is not conducive to Marlineering..!
      Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
      Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

HI Steve, Could you tell me which Rover handbrake cable you used in the Disc conversion. I am about to try the same mod on my roadster. Yours looks really good.
        Thanks
        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by stephenlilley View Post
          HI Steve, Could you tell me which Rover handbrake cable you used in the Disc conversion. I am about to try the same mod on my roadster. Yours looks really good.
          Thanks
          Steve
          I stuck with MGF twin cables but cut them down. It meant using an MGF compensator and I redesigned the handbrake mechanism to fit to replicate the MGF system.
          There was a chandlers near me who did a lot of wire rigging etc. and with a bit of fiddling we crimped new ferrules on the cables, they seemed to work fine.
          Last edited by stevejgreen; 08-07-16, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Hi Steve, Thanks for the info. I used to sail Dinghies in the past and I know a chap wot does that.
            Thanks
            Steve

Comment

Hi Steve, Could you tell what gauge steel you used for the carriers. I am getting all the bits together now ready for the conversion later in the year.
              Thanks
              Steve

Comment

Originally posted by stephenlilley View Post
                Hi Steve, Could you tell what gauge steel you used for the carriers. I am getting all the bits together now ready for the conversion later in the year.
                Thanks
                Steve
                From instant memory, and that's not so good, I followed the same gauge as the front Caliper brackets around 2.5mm if I recall.
                It was a reasonable guess at the time as the majority of the brake effort is on the front wheels with only 30% on the rear.
                More importantly all the fixings needed to be HT to resist the shear forces.
                I will look up my drawing later, but I think a copy is on Fastmarina, or Flickr.

Comment

Working...
                X