Steering rack MOT fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering rack MOT fail

My steering rack is completely Donald-ducked the rack on the passenger side moves freely up and down and side to side, banging on the walls of the rack outer tube.

There should be a "Rack bearing" supporting it, but this is nowhere to be seen, where could it have got to? Given that the bearing is a sleeve fitted around the rack, I cannot see how it could have got anywhere, most odd.

I have purchased a new recon rack off Ebay. Deep Joy.

Re: Steering rack MOT fail

Don
    Had the same problem on my Roadster though the bearing had'nt disappeared. It was held in place by a grub/self tapping screw through the outer tube wall. had a new one machined out of a block of nylon type material at work as I couldn't get any of the rack reconditioners to supply me with the part , some didn't even know what I was talking about which left me to believe that the recon service was a coat of paint!

Comment

I'm going back a lot of years but I seem to remember that when I overhauled my rack before I fitted it I was surprised that the "bush" at that end was a fairly dense felt strip wraped round the rack and secured in the tube with a self-tapper. Being saturated with oil it was self lubricating and self aligning.The felt was in a thin-walled tube with the ends turned over to stop it sliding out. My sketch may help. There's also the exploded drg. from the Haynes manual in case you don't have one, it's item 34.
      Attached Files

Comment

It would seem that the bearing has disintegrated completely. A nylon bush is an attractive idea, or bronze. However by the time I have taken the front of the car off to get at I might as well fit the recon one. I will have a very hard look at the new one before I fit it.

Comment

If I recall correctly this was addressed on Fastmarinamagazine where a member had imported some new bushes as there was no supply in the UK.
          A quick search should add some detail.

Comment

Had a look at that, however the pictured bearing had a hexagonal hole, which does not look like what I need at all.

http://www.fastmarinamagazine.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2529&p=27309&hilit=steering+ra ck+bush#p27309

Comment

Ok so it's supposed to be hexagonal! see here:

http://www.cjw-consulting.co.uk/steering_rack/steering_rack.htm

Comment

£21 seems a bit steep per bush. Interestingly I had mine manufactured to a longer length to offer more support. Could I suggest that the club look at having some made.

Comment

I doubt very much if Chris (CJW Consulting) did not look into the cheapest available price and sold them on at cost as a service to Marina based car owners.
                  Fastmarinamagazine website is privately funded and not part of the Morris Marina Owners Club.

The MOC is currently very proprietorial and even if the proposal to manufacture parts got past the treasurer, sales would probably be limited to MOC members only, hardly fostering good relations between two groups who have the same core needs.
                  The number of Marina Roadsters 'on the road' must be very close to the equivalent number of Marina/Itals.

Perhaps I can be proved wrong, and we can work together for our mutual benefit.

Comment

Alan can I suggest that you/any member look into the possibility of having these manufactured to the spec that you require. Quantity cost etc. As you know the club purchased a quantity of new old stock from a gentleman who was building Marlin Roadsters in New Zealand. This has now all gone I beleive so all avenues should be explored to help keep our cars on the road. I have a complete set of Berlinetta panels, I also have MKI wings, and I have been speaking to a member with space to store this type of spare and moulds etc if they become available. This would ensure that they were available should anyone need to borrow to have a panel manufactured.
                    Danny.

Comment

Isnt this an area where the designated Roadster Rep should be active, identifying rare parts ane sourcing replacements.

Comment

I shall refurbish my old one for spare. Browsing the images on Rimmer Bros site, other members of the Triumph Derived family have bronze bushed steering racks. I will machine one up, or perhaps be able to find one, as a stock part somewhere. I shall advise on my progress.

Comment

I shall refurbish my old one for spare. Browsing the images on Rimmer Bros site, other members of the Triumph Derived family have bronze bushed steering racks. I will machine one up, or perhaps be able to find one, as a stock part somewhere. I shall advise on my progress.

Comment

Don
                            Would it be possible to let me have the dimensions as i no longer have access to a rack

Comment

On another thought, whilst polyurethane is used a lot for bushes on suspension, I distrust it, having had a set of tie bar bushes crumble into dust.

Comment

Working...
                              X