Marina instument panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marina instument panel

Ok, this is the first time of trying to fit a marina instrument panel to the Marlin.

Questions;

1)Do I need a voltage stabiliser as this will be wired to 1980's Toyota Corolla wiring loom which didn't have one for the original instruments.

2) There is an oblong angled space which looks like it should have a connector of some type in it, this I can’t find in the manuals, does anyone have one?

3) The tacho to the left looks like it has two connectors one to the left and one above another type of connector, now what is the round hole?? Is it some type of vacuum?

Please help lots of you should have done this, I hope. Look forward to lots of replies. Adrian
    Attached Files

Re: Marina instument panel

Voltage stabiliser is used on a Marina for Fuel and Temp gauges only. What supply goes to them now?

The connector is a little important for all the elecctric connections. Possibly ebay, but the marina owners will have one somewhere.

I have no idea what the tube on the tacho is for.

What manuals do you have, BL or Haynes. If you can wait a week I can scan and email the BL workshop manual relevant pages.

PS have you read the last email I sent you. It might help you out.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Hi Steve, didn't receive anything from you.

Thanks for the offer I already have the workshop manual and also the parts manual and it isn’t clear in either. I also have the Haynes one but still not clear.

I am just trying to suss the Toyota's wiring diagram, this is always the problem with mix and match cars.

As I am finding it hard to get onto the Marina Owners is there any way you could broker a request to see if anyone has the connector it would be a great help.

Adrian

Comment

See my latest post in misc
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

The voltage regulator plugs directly onto the back of the instrument panel. See the three slots with the little screws beside them? at the bottom just right of middle, it goes there. The gauges wont work at all without it as there will be a break in the circuit.

As for the tacho, the manual shows two hoses connected to the tacho unit; a push on one to the top ridged tube and a push-in one going into the larger lower one. What they are for I cannot tell.

I remember the plug that went into the oblong hole, it was an "insulation displacement" type fitting with all the wiring loom wires clipped into it, to make the contacts with the flexible printed circuit board, via springy bronze contacts on either sise. I very much doubt that they can be obtained new now,

Comment

But if you can find a classic 80's Mini with a 3-clock instrument binnacle behind the steering column (rather than the central clock) the plastic plug on that "may" be compatible...

I did wonder if a new classic Mini loom comes with this plug (so you could track one down from the supplier) but the Mini Spares website explicitly says to use the old plug...
            Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
            Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

This doesn't help I know but when I built my roadster (PKK989M) I traced the Marina circuit board and mapped them onto some Smiths instruments, from a Triumph I think. But I also recall the speedo was out, and I think Clive (current owner) says it still is.
              - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
              - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
              - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
              - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
              - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Adrian,
                Assume it was you who dived under my dashboard yesterday morning. I hadn't spotted your query before so, in an attempt to provide further assistance, I had a closer look this evening.
                There are 2 connections to the rev counter, 1 male, 1 female.
                According to the car specific wiring diagram I inherited, the male one is connected to the +ve side of the coil.
                The female one is connected to the fused side of the permanent supply.

Jim

Comment

All, Many thanks for all your many comments and suggestions. Jez you were spot on and I contacted a company called Wood and Pickett today and spoke to a very nice helpful guy who said 1) that they were the same on the Mini as the Marina and 2) he had loads of mini wiring looms in a shed which were not all complete but would find me one and I could have it for £5 plus £1 P&P. Now that’s what I call a bargain. Along with the assistance from Jim I can now go ahead and fit it with confidence. Adrian

Comment

Excellent news - and at a fiver that loom will be a cheap source of wire. Tempted to phone up and get one myself.
                    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Well it got delivered, it is the same, it fits, happy days.

Comment

Well it got delivered, it is the same, it fits, happy days.

Comment

Hi Adrian,
                          just solved the forever the problem. Please have a look on e bay nr.130575501085 solid voltage stabilizer - 3 wires negative hearth, positive, gauges ( fuel, temperature)
                          Hope this can be usefull
                          Ciao to everybody
                          The only Marliner in Rome
                          roberto

Comment

Working...
                          X