X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bio-Fuel Time bomb

Hi All

Noticed this article on PistonHeads.

Worth a read and a discussion, especially for the older Marlins.

Adrian

Not necessarily as problematic as you might think.
    It may be that some of the recent SU fuel pump failures have been down to Ethanol but many of these pumps will be 30+ years old already.

Burlen Fuels, the current owners and suppliers of Amal, Weber Zenith and SU parts have published this.

My personal thoughts are similar to the unleaded fuel debate. There was a lot of money spent replacing valves and seats on cylinder heads. A few high mileage leaded heads suffered badly, but many low mileage heads are still running perfectly OK.
    Why spends loads of money now, whilst times are tight, on work that can be completed over a period of months or years.

It's much the same as the Hypoy EP90 GL4/GL5 debate.

Interesting never the less, and we must each decide our own strategy but I do not see it as a big worry.

Comment

Re: Bio-Fuel Time bomb

Guys, the E10 fuel arrives next year. I have tried to find out what it will do to older engines and there does not seem to be much good info. It appears that some systems will cope and some won't. The effects are varied and have been reported as folow:

Due to the hygroscopic nature of E10 blended fuels corrosion of matal parts in older systems has been experienced. The fuel can also become acidic causing dissimilar metal electrolytic corrosion too.

The fuel is known to break down after about 90 days so maybe a fuel drain will be needed if the vehicle is laid up for a few months.

After the first few fills, the fuel has a tendency to scour the fuel system. This will leave it cleaner but the filters will need an early change.

The fuel has a solvent action on sealers and adhesives which may cause leaks in these regions. ( I stupidly used blue gasket seal in one or two places. E5 fuel has sent all that in to my LP filter)

Rubber items will need upgrading to a resistant polymer type due to ethanol being easily absorbed in to the older materials, thus softening and weakening them.

In the USA owners of classic vehicles with SU carbs have experienced greater vapour locks and degredation of the jet seals.

The fuel will allow us to take more advance on our ignition systems due to its slightly greater anti-knock potential.

MPG will fall by about 3% so we will have to buy more fuel for a given journey. Power may well be affected depending on state of tune.

I hope my fuel injector seals will withstand this fuel. One article about Ford engines in the Sierra say thay will be OK, another article rom Australia says no!

It will all be suck it and see but keep some spare pipes, hoses and filters handy.

Anyone using Tesco fuel has apparently been using E5 (5% etyhanols for years so will have a good idea about any effects from the fuel).
      Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Re: Bio-Fuel Time bomb

A worthwhile article from the Marina Owners Club

Comment

Working...
        X