Carpet and trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carpet and trim

Well after a lovely weekend spent in the garage making a grp mould from Brian Wesby's grille (thanks Brian) and generally fiddling about, my thoughts have turned to the trim. I have some rubber backed car grade carpet but before i start hacking it into pieces thought I might ask a few questions first.

The side pieces - below the door...there is a recess here yet most roadsters seem to have a flat panel - why is this? Is the carpet fitted to some ply first? Tips?

second...because of rivets and wires and general nuts and bolts sticking up, is it best to use some underfelt? If so any recomendations?

Third - carpet over the transmission tunnel - I think a nice vinyl top might be good - any hints on how to approach that bit?

Thanks again

Re: Carpet and trim

Cameron
    Below the door...I have a piece of hardboard with speaker cut-outs (though the radio went a while back!), backed with a thick piece of foam filler. The carpet is then glued to the hardboard...
    Under-felt is good as it helps reduce noise, especially any drumming coming from the floor panels...
    For the tunnel I used some foam glued to the top-panel then vinyl over this & some nice screws going into rivnuts...the tunnel-sides were made from vinyl glued onto underfelt with some heavyduty velcro running along the top to secure it, with the carpet & underfelt keeping it in place at the bottom. Some wing-piping underneath the tunnel-top helps to finish it off.
    Having a tunnel you can remove the top from without having to remove carpets & maybe seats as well does make certain jobs much easier (like adjusting the handbrake cable).
    I used 2 grades of carpet - some soft, thin stuff for those awkwardly shaped areas (like under the door/scuttle) & a firmer, thicker grade for floor & rear scuttle.

HTH

Jez
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

once again indebted to you Jez! Great idea to velcro the tunnel sides too - in case anything has to be removed one day. My handbrake is the ford one so no adjustment inside the car is needed, i can permanently fix the top section in place although i think the rivnuts way is better (i love rivnuts). Many thanks : dont suppose you have a convenient pic do you?

Comment

Tunnel.jpg
        Wing piping is glued to the return on the tunnel side.

Jez
        Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
        Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Hi Cameron I have done several roadster pretty much what Jez has done and it works well see pictures. Danny has a YKC carpet set of mine I bought off YKC that you can borrow if you want just check with Danny, its dark brown.
          Attached Files

Comment

Sorry to butt in, but Wow very nice
            Last edited by Starchaser; 28-05-12, 08:53 PM.

Comment

yes Wow! all nice ...Lee do you think the roadster carpet set might be different from the romero - wider tunnel and handrake at left of gear stick? Jez, nice work

Comment

I realise this thread is a couple of years old but I couldn't help but comment on the pictures of the interior trim and carpets posted by CosworthCabrioLee......Wow!! Now that's something to aspire to.

Comment

Makes me realise that I need to re-do mine this Winter. Nice! One small thought from an amateur - I used silicone to fix my tunnel top vinyl armrest in place. Saves unsightly screws.
                  Roadster MKII LWB. Built 1988. Marina 1.8TC based. B Series 1950cc engine fitted with twin SU HS4 carburetors and unleaded, big valve head. 4 core Austin Maxi radiator. All Marina 1.8TC running gear including 4 speed gearbox. Minilite style 15"wheels fitted with tall tyres to increase gearing for more relaxed cruising.

Comment

Working...
                  X