This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What have you done with your marlin today

Removed both rear shock absorbers from my Cabrio this morning started to try and undo the welded nuts then rememberd that I had read somewhere or someone told me that access to top bolt was inside the boot. Very handy that the boot access behind seats was easily removed allowing better access to the two rather stubborn top bolts. Off to motor factors to get some new ones and back on the road vedry soon. Any advise on what make and type shock absorbers to buy ?.
    Regards
    Dave

Comment

Hi Dave euro car parts have 2 types listed Bilstein Shock Absorber (Rear)
      Part No.: 635590685 £51 each
      And Sachs Shock Absorber (Rear)
      Part No.: 635590680 £15 each
      On my car I have have Monroe and they work fine.

Regards
      Lee
      Last edited by CosworthCabrioLee; 26-12-12, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Thanks Lee
        Store within 5 miles they will have the Sachs by 4-00pm today 7-10 days for the Bilstein. They say the Sachs will be fine for my needs.
        Regards
        Dave

Comment

I was looking at buying some new brake discs with drilled holes, but at £50 - £60 per set and I have stock of 2 pairs of none drilled discs, thought I would drill my own ones thats on the car as they are as new. Removed the discs and drilled them and refitted.
          Adjusted rear ride height on springs one full turn each side to lift up as when car is loaded the exhaust gets low to the ground
          Last edited by CABRIOBOB; 29-12-12, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Drove it again! this time to Sheldon meeting and back

Comment

Did you get another turn on the springs seats ? Also how high is it now.

Comment

Shock absorbers fitted without any problems, road tested with hood down dodging showers. Absolutely delighted with the difference the new shock absorbers have made may be the best £30.00 I spend on the Marlin. Upon checking I found the shock absorbers date stamped 1996 most likely the originals which may explain the poor performance which I had grown used to.
                Dave

Comment

Well I wrestled with my headlamps again this evening and shoehorned the standard H4 inserts in once more, it seems the original Wipac lamps are special shallow units for the rubber headlamp shells. They are now working OK. I just need to find a yoghurt pot or something similar to cover the back of the lamp and the electric connections.

I spent the day stripping a Triumph Herald for the front suspension and other minor bits like a nice coil and a spare starter solenoid. Tomorrow we should be able to remove the suspension and rack. It has the later type 14? callipers so I will be able to upgrade my brakes at some stage.

The springs seem much beefier than the ones on the Marlin, so that might help raise and stiffen things.

Comment

Today I drove to my local, very good, motor factors for a cam cover gasket and RTV sealer for my old Pajero. I went in Moll and noticed a fuel leak from the return pipe. Blast. Ive found that a leak has developed in my flex armoured pipe. All replaced now..provbably better mpg now !!
                    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Today I went to lift Ruby's winter nightie and tickle her into life for her weekly rev up. Thought I would do a pre M.O.T check on the lights to find that the rev counter beat in time with the indicators and the indicators were non functioning at all. Totally confused I grabed a handful of loom under the dash and bingo all was ok. Where the hell do I start looking for the cause of the problem? Or do I just let it go. First and only time its ever happened so what next. Looking forward to April and a new tax disk and some more happy times.

Comment

First place I would look is the sensor wire(s) for a weak joint. With an open circuit here the amp for the stepper motor may react to other impulses/small loads in the power supply - ie the indicator relay.
                        Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Went to turn her round yesterday.

Backed out of the garage, foot on brake and foot sinks to the floor !. Bugger !!!.

Well I am disappointed, the brake master cylinder has only lasted just under 28 years !.

Gonna take the opportunity to upgrade to dual circuit brakes (front - rear split as it's the easiest to implement) I think.

Just wondering now about the seals in the front calipers, hmmmm. Rear wheel cylinders were changed about 15 years ago, so they should be ok.

Neil.
                          Last edited by neiltechspec; 16-01-13, 11:23 AM.

Comment

So I went out to check on my airborne Marlin, getting ready to derust (the Marlin powder coating) underneath and check out a clunk in the diff....saw pic1....and went back indoors
                            ......there's time enough when it warms up a bit

(and yes, before getting under I will be putting blocks underneath as a back up to the axle stands !)
                            Attached Files

Comment

Going to look good DC, but I know what you mean about the cold, I need to paint my Rocker covers but waiting for the weather to improve.

Comment

Yesterday I braved the sub zero temps and fitted a very special A.A. badge to Ruby. It belonged to my favorite Aunty who passed away at 95 yrs old in October.

Comment

Working...
                                X