• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mike's Cabrio Build

Originally posted by Mike View Post
    Here is a clue to what will come next................. Junction 10a

Any guesses ?????
    Land Rover Experience session (near M1 J10a) just for a change from the Cabrio!???

Comment

C'mon then! The suspense is immense! Giz another clue Mike! Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post
        C'mon then! The suspense is immense! Giz another clue Mike! Peter.
        Its not that exciting............!

Clue 2 : Z4 2003.5 model onwards
        Last edited by Mike; 02-10-15, 10:56 AM.

Comment

im still non the wiser, I understand Jez's M54 link, that was quick but then you don't live over this side of the country so if the clue is a motorway junction its more likely to be the M1, however the Z4s were fitted with the M54 engine...maybe you are going to add some turbo goodness?

Comment

Its not that exciting............!

Clue 2 : Z4 2003.5 model onwards
            OK so you leave the M1 at J10a and go to Luton Airport to collect a SMG 6 speed gearbox flown over from Bimmersport Automotive Toronto???

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
              im still non the wiser, I understand Jez's M54 link, that was quick but then you don't live over this side of the country so if the clue is a motorway junction its more likely to be the M1, however the Z4s were fitted with the M54 engine...maybe you are going to add some turbo goodness?
              I may not live on your side of the country , but I do travel a lot for work....................... getting warmer!!

A turbo'd Marlin - now that would be a mean machine!!!
              Last edited by Mike; 02-10-15, 11:52 PM.

Comment

OK so you leave the M1 at J10a and go to Luton Airport to collect a SMG 6 speed gearbox flown over from Bimmersport Automotive Toronto???
                I love the lateral thinking - and you are partly right - but which part?
                Take part of your answer, and plus Jez's and part of Cameron's logic, and between the three of you lies the answer........

Comment

M54 link road to M6 Junction10a = Engine Tuning Essington ???

Comment

6 speed box from FAB recycling?

Comment

Junction 10a is where M54 and M6 meet...........

I already had a stand alone M54 engine, (and modified ECU), but have not been able to test run it outside of my Cabrio, as the starter motor attaches to the gearbox bell housing rather than the engine back plate. It was further complicated by my engine coming from an automatic donor so it did not have a manual clutch or the appropriate fly wheel.

Recently I found a really nice guy selling his low mileage crash damaged Z4 3.0 that he was breaking. It had been his pride and joy until he T-boned a geriatric driver who pulled straight out in front of him. The careless driver survived with minor bruising, but the Z4 was written off. I bought the 6 speed manual gearbox (which the Americans call an M6 gearbox), and, as a real bonus, the matching M54 flywheel and Dual Mass Clutch - (my donor was auto so lacked both). I can now join my M54 to an M6 gearbox .

In a further development, I drove up to Leeds on Monday with a trailer to collect John Tootle's surplus LWB Cabrio chassis: this will make an ideal test rig to fit my M54 plus M6 gearbox. My plan is to run the engine outside of my Cabrio, to ensure the electronics function correctly and that it physically will fit under the bonnet, before swapping it into my Cabrio during the winter.
                      Hopefully this will coincide with the body work going away for painting - assuming the engine fits under the bonnet without drastic alterations.

- I just have to keep telling myself this is not the beginnings of a second Cabrio build project!
                      Last edited by Mike; 05-10-15, 10:22 AM.

Comment

6 speed ZF 6s37BZ gearbox from a Z4 3.0

Its amazing what an hour with an electrtic drill and a stainless wire brush head can achieve on aluminium.

I have bought new seals to fit to the gear selector shaft, and the Input and Output shafts, plus new bushes to replace all the wear parts in the selector linkage, so it should be "good as new" when I finally swap it over.
                        Last edited by Mike; 14-10-15, 11:23 PM.

Comment

I like that shiny thing! Wish I could fit one on the back of my Rover V8! Peter.

6 speed ZF 6s37BZ gearbox from a Z4 3.0

Its amazing what an hour with an electrtic drill and a stainless wire brush head can achieve on aluminium.

I have bought new seals to fit to the gear selector shaft, and the Input and Output shafts, plus new bushes to replace all the wear parts in the selector linkage, so it should be "good as new" when I finally swap it over.

Comment

I like that shiny thing! Wish I could fit one on the back of my Rover V8! Peter.
                            Peter, I sometimes wish I had that lovely V8 sound coming from under my bonnet.........................

Perhaps we'll have to swap rides for an afternoon???

Comment

Peter, I sometimes wish I had that lovely V8 sound coming from under my bonnet.........................

Perhaps we'll have to swap rides for an afternoon???

Indeed! That said I think the straight six sound is also very good. Let me know if you are coming down this way and we can meet up. Peter.

Comment

Indeed! That said I think the straight six sound is also very good. Let me know if you are coming down this way and we can meet up. Peter.
                                Hi Peter

One of my little "Wannados" after the engine swap, and painting, is to visit all the various MOC regional meeting around the country in my Cabrio, so I'll definitely get down your way eventually for a meet.

I'm sure Sue & I will be down to Exeter some time next year......................... so I'll plan to sneek off and look forward to hearing the V8 rumble.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X