Mike's Cabrio Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mike's Cabrio Build

As Forrest Gump's mother said "Life was like a box of chocolates - you don't know what you're gonna get "

Having reassembled my Vanos unit, I intended to install the M52 upgraded friction plates I'd bought - the cup/washer sandwiched between two machined plates. But when I removed my existing set up, expecting just the one standard M50 friction washer, I found it already had the M52 upgrade fitted- a big surprise!

Intake Cam M52 Upgrade.JPG

In a way I was disappointed as, with the upgrade already in place, I am not going to achieve any improvemnt here.

Then, out of curiosity, and because I had a spare solenoid on my ebay Vanos unit, I checked the operation of my existing solenoid - and surprise, surprise, it melted my test wires! A quick panic ensued as I questioned whether 12v DC was appropriate?!
    Luckily the internet confirmed it does operate on 12v DC - phew!
    I tested it again, and again had smoke coming off my test wires.

I then tried my spare solenoid and it worked fine.............but of course I couldn't just fit the spare, I had to find out what was wrong with the original!

To cut a long story short there was a fault in the connector on the end of the solenoid wire- the solenoid itself is OK.

So, an evening of surprises.

My vanos unit seals were in better condition than I expected.
    Putting this and last night's findings together I now suspect the complete Vanos unit may have been replaced by BMW at the same time as the M52 cup washer upgrade.
    (My donor was a low milage - 70k - crash damaged car with a full BMW service record, and BMW do not offer just seal replacement only).

So, my improvements are not likely to achieve as much as I had hoped for.

I'm sure setting up the Vanos bearing tolerances will have improved the smoothness/quietness of my engine, and the new seals will be marginally better, and certainly much longer lived: so not a waste of time, but not much to look forward to in terms of improved engine performance/behaviour.

However, it is likely my Vanos solenoid was not working prior to me dismantling the Vanos, which gives me great hope for a significant improvement in engine's performance: all the posts on the internet suggest a failed Vanos system makes a huge difference to torque at low revs and waivering mid range performance.

Life is full of surprises..............
    Last edited by Mike; 04-08-14, 12:00 PM.

Comment

I've had a lovely evening, rebuilding my Vanos back up - its been a long time since I've been able to have a play with mechanical items - beats upholstery and electrics any day. Quite scary though when you have to press the Vanos helical gears back into the cam shaft sprockets as this determines the timing, so one spline out could - no will! - cause problems.

The Beisan site is absolutely brilliant, showing photos of every step of the way, and it appears to have gone back together in a straight forward way.

I just hope I don't end up with any oil leaks.

Looks like Saturday will be the big day to get her going again - hopefully!

Comment

Whoooh!

Vanos rebuilt, and its been well worth it on several levels.

I've had great fun stripping the Vanos down and finally understanding how Variable Valve Timing actually works - I understood the principle, but could never quite work out how it was done.

I'm pleased my engine has been upgraded to the M52's Intake Cam triple washer arrangement - (even if I was surprised to find that it had already been done in its donor days).

As it turned out, fitting the new Vanos seals was not going to make as much difference as I might have hoped - not because its not worth it - but because I'm convinced it had already had a new Vanos unit fitted recently in its donor's past. The M52 cup washer upgrade just adds to this suspicions. However, I am then left surprised by the play in the Vanos bearing - this clearly was not addressed when the Vanos unit was uograded, and has undoubtedly contributed to the "rattle" around 2700rpm.

There has been some improvement in torque at lower rpm - it now pulls better down at 2,000rpm. It is still noticable that the M50TUB25 comes alive "on cam" at 3000+ rpm.
        This fits in with the general view that the M50 did lack a little low down torque, and hence why BMW introduced the M52B28 with smaller Inlet runners which restricted the top end HP to the same as the M50B25TU, but improved bottom end torque and at lower rpm too.

The biggest improvement is in engine quietness - lift the bonnet at tick-over and it is so quiet: - it has that quiet silky smooth straight 6 purr...........lovely. Under load the "Vanos rattle" noise that previously kicked in around 2,700rpm has gone completely.

The new Beisan bearing ring and tolerance instructions have proved they really know the BMW Vanos system very well.

Overall, its a definite step in the right direction.
        Last edited by Mike; 05-08-14, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Its a strange feeling not having a Marlin in my garage..................I've had one there for over 25 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
            Its a strange feeling not having a Marlin in my garage..................I've had one there for over 25 years.
            So where is it? Changing colour for Donington???????? Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post
              So where is it? Changing colour for Donington???????? Peter.
              Nope!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                Nope!
                Ahh! Having the hood fitted? P.

Comment

Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post
                  Ahh! Having the hood fitted? P.
                  Yup! - Not sure when I'll get it back, though I hope it is well before Donington - but I've taken so long building my car that a few more days will not hurt!

But I will have to get the exhaust quietened down though........ there is always one more job!

Mike
                  Last edited by Mike; 07-08-14, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Whooooh!

Just had a text to say my hood is fitted and my Cabrio is ready for collection!
                    Will collect tomorrow, and post photos for those interested.
                    Quite excited as this is the last major ticket item to physically complete my car.

(Paint being only a tart up job!)

So............. what colour should I paint it?
                    Last edited by Mike; 22-08-14, 10:37 AM.

Comment

I have been so patient waiting for my hood, but knowing it was ready to collect, I simply could not wait until tomorrow! - its like asking a kid to wait an extra day for Christmas!

My first impressions are very good. The material and workmanship are good:

IMG_6859.JPG

IMG_6866.JPG

We have not fitted the stud fastener at the rear lower edge adjacent to the door. This will be left until I have painted and reassembled my car, so that it can be perfectly located, but even without it the fit is remarkably good.

IMG_6861.JPG

IMG_6863.JPG

I now need to learn how to fold it away neatly...... but this shot was to show the centre rail and the width of velcro tube for a quick rel;ease fastener.

IMG_6873.JPG

IMG_6868.JPG

Nice wide rear window panel - I think this is wider than the standard marlin version, which should help with visibility behind.

IMG_6870.JPG

The very sharp eyed will have noticed my catches are not complete. These are Brasscraft Cobra catches, and have no adjustement, so I wanted to wait until I knew exactly how far down to fix the hook to the windscreen surround.
                      I drove home with just a single G-clamp holding the front of the hood down, and was told not to go over 55mph. I tried guv'nor- honest I did, but I have to say at 70mph there was no sign of it lifting. With some foam rubber to seal the front edge, and the two catches fitted I am confident it should work very well.

See you all at Donington - I don't care about the weather now!
                      Last edited by Mike; 23-08-14, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Looks fab Mike.

Comment

Now that I have my Cabrio back from the upholsterer I am keen to stop my exhaust being so damn loud. So with Donington coming up on Saturday, I've been hard at work to have my new system ready to test on a decent run over to the show.

I ordered a set of bespoke parts from Phoenix exhausts to make up 2 new back boxes, and a centre silencer.

My original back boxes are 600mm long straight through 2" perforated pipes in 6" x 3" ovals.
                          As these were not reducing the db level sufficiently, I did a lot of research into silencer design, and the perceived wisdom is to go for a 3 pass chamber, flowing the gases in opposite directions to help cancel noise, and fit them into the biggest chamber possible.

So thats what I'm going for - 10"x4" oval chambers, (twice the volume, but only an inch deeper than my originals) with three perforated tubes wrapped in wire wool/glass matting in a disipative design, whilst adding resonator chambers at each end.
                          As I can tailor my design to suit my own car I've cut away one corner, to allow a closer fit around the rear trailing radius arm, maximising the length of chamber that will fit under my fuel tank, and will weld a flat plate across the end to close it off.

IMG_6893.JPG

Wrapped in wire wool

IMG_6894.JPG

Then in glass matting

IMG_6895.JPG

The hard part was getting the outer case on - forcing it over the end/baffle plates - a big hammer and a block of wood work wonders!!

IMG_6896.JPG

The final silencer, ready to be welded up

IMG_6898.JPG

The 2 new rear boxes double the original perforated tube length, and internal volume, but I suspect these will still not achieve the db reduction I am after, so I've made an additional centre silencer to run along the transmission tunnel to provide aditional silencing.

IMG_6899.JPG

All three silencers are straight through designs, allowing very free flowing gases, for maximum power. However, if the compromise to power is still to the detriment of too much noise, my last resort will be to add intereference type silencer boxes (such as CATs) which are very good at reducing noise, but are equally good at sapping power and fuel economy too.

I hope to get my silencers welded up tomorrow, and fitted in the evening in time to test them on my journey to Donington.

Fingers crossed they perform.......?
                          Last edited by Mike; 28-08-14, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Whoooh!

I didn't get my back boxes finished in time to fit before Donington tomorrow, but I have fitted the centre silencer and it has made a noticable difference, so I'm really pleased.
                            I'll still fit the two new back boxes as hopefully that will get me to where I'd like to be.

I'm really looking forward to my outing tomorrow - with hood, and without BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!

Comment

ring me please 07809 403112

Comment

After a 200 mile round trip to the Doninington Kit Car Show, then onto the In-Laws, involving both A roads and the M1, the centre exhaust has definitely made a big improvement to the noise levels. It is now acceptable at low rpm, and cruising at 60-75mph.
                                The only time it gets noisey is on WOT, and dawdling at less than 2000rpm in 5th, ie under load.

The bigger, and hopefully better, back boxes will pull the noise down further, and I may well change the 3.14 diff out for the 3.38 to lift the engine revs slightly for cruising at 50mph on A roads.

Exhaust fumes were a real problem though with the two centre exit tail pipes.

This is an odd one, as some Marlin owners with central rear exit tail pipes have the same problem, whilst others do not?
                                Could it be anything to do with the projection of the tail pipe relative to the back of the boot/skirt?
                                The two I saw at Donington who have no issue, both had tail pipes finishing inside the number plate face of the boot of the car, whereas mine finish 70mm beyond the number plate, and 35mm beyond the bumper.

I will try my new back boxes without tail pipes first just to see if it solves the problem as I still like the looks of centralised rear exit tail pipes. Plan B, if required, is to take the tail pipes out nearer to the rear wheels.

Comment

Working...
                                X