Berlinetta build and restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Berlinetta build and restoration

If at first you don't succeed, try try again. The new injection pump arrived last Thursday so I couldn't wait to fit it and get the engine running. But it still refused to start! Tonight was the first chance to get back in the garage since then as I had the weekend at the classic car show at Birmingham.

The new pump worked if it was connected directly to the battery but not when it was connected properly. There was no power getting to the pump, where before with the old pump there was power. This is when it is handy to have a stock of components such as relays and ECUs that have been checked to work ok, by previously fitting them when the engine was running. Alas still no joy. Then literally a light bulb moment, I noticed that the ECU warning light was not lighting when the ignition was switched on. It should come on then go out when the engine starts, indicating that the ECU was not getting power. A small wire that is connected to ignition live had come adrift. Success! The engine started right away for the first time with the proper wiring in place. It's still a mystery what happened to the old pump , which I checked again but still dead. At least I can sleep tonight and I think I may solder the wire that came adrift to make double sure it stays put.

Comment

well done Scott!

Comment

Originally posted by scott h View Post
        Success! The engine started right away for the first time with the proper wiring in place. .
        Scott, well done.
        Its always such a thrill to hear an engine fire up for the first time - you must be really chuffed

Mike

Comment

Thanks guys. Setbacks are always a pain but when you eventually find a solution it's a boost to morale.

Comment

I've been getting on with the wiring and now because so many of the switches and other electrical components are on the dashboard it is time to tackle that.

This is the original dashboard.

1561.jpg

This time I want to add a radio and a clock. I also think that burr walnut will look better. I cut a dashboard shape from some old plywood and tried out some ideas for layout.

1566.jpg

The radio is a retro style but has bluetooth for hands free phone calls, it can also use bluetooth to connect to music devices. I also want a center console below the main dash to house two adjustable vents, with a control to vary between them and ducting to the footwell. The screen will have a constant feed from the heater, and for maximum demist the plan is to direct the main air flow away from the footwell to the vents then close the vents. This will mean the only route for the air from the heater is to the screen. It sounds simple when you say it but time will tell if it's possible!

1571.jpg

Here you see one of the vents and the flap valve to select between the vent and footwell. Also here is the temp control for the heater which operates a flow control in one of the heater hoses. You can also see one of the push button billet aluminium switches which at the moment will be in a vertical row behind the steering wheel. The heater fan and the headlight switches are rotary and a mate says he will machine knobs for them to match the push switches.

I am trying to decide what to use to make the dashboard, whether to use ply then cover with veneer, or a ready veneered dashboard blank from Europa Spares.
            Last edited by scott h; 11-01-17, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Hi Scott, be carefull if you go down the veneering route as you can get the grain pattern on the ply transfer though to the veneer also veneer both sides of the ply in the same timber because if you don't it can warp badly. I think Mike Gardner did a sandwich of ply then thin sheet of aluminum and then veneer but you would have to ask him.
              I use capital crispin for my veneer they will let you buy just one sheet of your desired veneer Google there web site as they have pictures of all different types / cuts of veneer and may give you some inspiration.
              I have seen the dash blanks you describe and they do look effective but being a cabinet maker you really can not beat the real thing.
              Have you thought about going down the solid timber route for your dash as long as you leave enough room for the timber to expand and contract you will be fine and maybe slot your fixings at the bottom to allow for it to move.
              You could also use moisture resistant mdf to veneer on as angouther option.
              Hope my ramblings have helped Angus

Comment

Thanks Angus. I know very little about woodwork and nothing about veneering. I am very much aware that a poor dashboard can have a huge effect on the overall appearance of the car. Your professional advice is very welcome.

Comment

Center console. As I said before I want to have adjustable vents with flap valves to divert between them and the footwell. So I had a go to see what I could do.

Here is the front showing the vents with the control for the flaps in the middle.

1576.jpg

Here is the rear, showing how the rod is connected to the flaps by welding wire. The feed from the heater comes in at the top and can be directed rearward to the vents or forward to the footwell.

1581.jpg

This was intended as a mock up but it turned out better than expected and could well end up on the car for good. I think after it is covered with maybe black vinyl or something, it will look ok.
                  Last edited by scott h; 29-01-17, 10:48 PM.

Comment

I have been busy refining the dashboard layout and this is finally one that I am happy with.

20170219_192618-1632x1224.jpg

This will be used as a template for the final dash made from a burr walnut blank purchased from Europa.

As a footnote this is the first post done completely on my phone as I have become increasingly frustrated with my laptop since I changed to windows 10, what a disaster! So I hope this worked ok.

Comment

Time to start making the real dashboard using the Europa blank.

1591.jpg

To mount it I used two strips of stainless steel to which I welded bolts. These were then glued and screwed to the blank dash using the template to position them. Here are the mounts on the template having clearances ground out for the gauges etc.

1611.jpg

With them attached to the blank I could then fit the template over the bolts and mark out the shape. Then I took a deep breath and started cutting.

1616.jpg

P.S. Back on the laptop after a couple of hours of trying various fixes it seems to be working again, but it's reassuring to know that I can do this build diary on my phone when, not if, windows 10 goes into a sulk again.
                      Last edited by scott h; 12-03-17, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Windows 10 is pants!! I have a tablet as backup for the times when windows is playing up

Comment

With the template located on the mounting studs, pilot holes were drilled from the rear.

1626.jpg

Then the holes for the gauges were cut from the front for a neat cut.

1631.jpg

1636.jpg

The rest of the holes were cut by the same method of drilling from the rear then enlarged with a dremel to ensure neat edges.

1646.jpg

1651.jpg

The dashboard still has the protective clear film, as can be seen at the warning lights. There is an off cut just big enough to make a new front panel for the lower dash with the adjustable vents, so that's the next job.

Comment

that looks very professional.

Comment

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
                              that looks very professional.
                              Thanks. Just concentrating on one job at a time and trying to do as good a job as I can. The heater temp control would be better if it was chrome but apart from that it's ok.

Comment

Made a new lower dash.

20170326_174713-1632x1224.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X