Steering rackI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering rackI

Hi ive just bought a marlin 5exi race car and the steering is very stiff can any one tell me what car the rack is from
    thanks

Re: Steering rackI

Hi Brandon - congratulations on your purchase a brilliant car, Im sure you will love it. I beleive the rack was supplied as part of the kit as a modified (?) metro part but some seem to have the mgf or rover 200 rack. It should have the part numbers on it which someone on here (or your local motor factor could match up).
    If steering is stiff its most likely a universal joint rather than the rack itself - what are the symptoms?

Comment

Thanks for the reply yes the car feels great loving it the only problem is ths steering feels very vague
      their doesn't seem to be any feel to it it doesn't centre and darts all over the place I'll try it at Malloy track day next weekend and see how I get on with it feels like it could do with a bit more caster on it
      any advice will be great thanks

Comment

sounds like a poor set up rather than the rack Brandon. Obvious things to check first are tyres and their pressures. then go for a worn ball joint - betcha thats what's wrong with yours. The MG/ Rover steering knuckles are problematic as there are some pattern parts out there that have the wrong taper in them So even when tightened up correctly they wear out really quick. You should be able to spot it with a wobble test. After that go round the suspension bushes with a big pry bar - loads of things likely to be wrong before the rack. Dont forget to check the rear suspension too as loose bits and worn out rubber can cause all sorts of rear end steering effects.

Comment

I'll check all the ball joints tomorrow are you in llandrinio I'm only in Oswestry call in for a look would be great to meet up with a fellow
          marlin owner I think it might just be me got used to a hilllman imp suspension set up on my davrian so maybe need to get used to modern steering ha

Comment

you have a davrian wowwww. I did know of another dav in shrewsbury a few years back. Feel free to call in anytime you wish would love to see your car

Comment

Working...
            X