I must stop measuring things!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I must stop measuring things!

That sounds better. Don't forget to check for bent TCAs if you haven't already
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Hi,

Glad you are getting there Peter.
      Kind regards
      Mike.

Comment

I have been busy measuring and adjusting for the last few days.

Thanks to Mike's reminder about ride height I have now raised mine by 18mm with the front chassis now at the recommended height of 270mm. Lo and behold the front camber has changed from N/S -1.5deg and O/S 2.0deg to N/S -0-deg and O/S -1.0deg! The steering arms are now level. The extra ground clearance under the oil cooler is very welcome too!

I can't believe how much difference the ride height has made to the camber and better still, the pulling to the left has ceased to be an issue with the car much more "planted" over any undulating road surfaces.

Although I raised the GAZ adjustable spring pads an identical amount the car now has a very slight bias down to the N/Side since a 50 mile shake down run on Saturday.

Further checks with a ruler tomorrow to see if I can get it completely level, followed by another camber check before shimming the O/S top wishbone mount in search of perfection -o- deg both sides!

The ongoing plan is then to sort the rear ride height with inevitably more measuring!

Peter.

Comment

You;ve started me off. Measured the Roadsters (a Hybrid) ride height through wheel centrelines to 'wing arch' returns yesterday and noticed the car is 2cm higher front left and rear left! I have two NOS rear leaf springs for a 1.3 Marina so will swap thous in before doing anything else. I suspect the car has just settled that way after 28 years of driver only travel.
          - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
          - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
          - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
          - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
          - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

I would measure the chassis to ground clearance rather than relying on the wings being mounted perfectly.
            Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
              You;ve started me off. Measured the Roadsters (a Hybrid) ride height through wheel centrelines to 'wing arch' returns yesterday and noticed the car is 2cm higher front left and rear left! I have two NOS rear leaf springs for a 1.3 Marina so will swap thous in before doing anything else. I suspect the car has just settled that way after 28 years of driver only travel.
              Worth considering Superflex bushes for the springs and hangers, there is also a leaf pad but it requires trimming.
              There are 12 different variants of rear springs available, luckily the vast majority are two leaf from the 1.8 and 1.3 Marina Saloons but they used different ratings. Unless the springs are clearly marked, you wont know which you have. Info here or there.

From experience removing the shackle nuts can be problematic. They are exposed to all the salt and elements, and without soaking thoroughly with a release agent the chances are that one of the 8 shackle threads will shear, so worth having a couple of spares handy along with nuts and washers etc. before starting work. Available ex-stock from Earlpart but other cheaper suppliers are available.
              MOC member since 05/97
              1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
              1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
              Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by andyf View Post
                I would measure the chassis to ground clearance rather than relying on the wings being mounted perfectly.
                Yes I will do that. What kicked it off was noticing the left front wing appearing to be higher than the right so I went there first. If the chassis is level then I'll have to refit the panels, which means waiting until I get the respray funded. (although currently considering a quick fix with a vinyl wrap, could be all done for £200!)
                - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Working...
                X