Marina Roadster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marina Roadster

engine running sweetly now but clutch still firmly stuck. Found a new master cylinder on the Bay - was a perfect fit except for the diameter of the mounting holes. New rear cylinders are in the post (not worth the risk not to replace everything is it?). New control cables fitted and all seems well...just that flippin' clutch. I'm now looking in the engine bay and working out whether I can get the lump out without too much dismantling. Will the engine come out without the 'box? Will I have to take out the rad? Only a few weeks to Stoneleigh and getting it there is looking less likely by the minute.

Comment

Get the engine up to full temp then try starting the car in gear with the clutch pedal pressed. If that fails try putting the rear wheels up on axle stands and chock the front wheels. Then gently run the car in gear with the clutch pedal depressed and dab the brakes. Increasing the power and brake pressure until the clutch lets go.
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Easiest way of getting the engine IMHO out is to drop the entire engine/box onto a dolly & lift/jack the car high enough to drag the dolly out...even easier if the head is off & studs out.
        As Mr Haynes states, reassembly is the reverse of removal
        Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
        Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

tried all that Ben - no movement at all! I guess I will be taking it out
          Underneath is a bit tight, on my Romero I made it so the gearbox cross member can be easily removed but this one is bolted to the transmission tunnel so loks like seats and carpet out too. Bummer.

Comment

Engine is out (came out the top) Im now going to remove the box separately so I can join them up. The clutch friction plate has a chunk missing and there was a fair old layer of surface rust on the flywheel but it has cleaned up nicely. It looks like a pretty new clutch unit in there, guess it hasnt had much use. Now to order a new one - the one I have says laycock on it - the engine number starts with 18V anyone see any problems?

Comment

I managed to get a nos clutch disc and have now fitted it. then took it all off again to fit the spigot bush . Torque according to the manuals is around 25-30 lbft so that was done and then a quick check over and, not relying entirely on the clutch tool i checked with the old "mince pie", it all looked good. Previously I had dragged out the gearbox so this was carried round to the engine (I'm doing this on my back yard as the garage is taken up with all things Romero) and jiggled into place. Didn't take too long to pop in. So it's sitting there now waiting to be rolled back under the car whereupon the fun can start refitting it.
              Meanwhile my brother treated himself to a couple of motorbikes for his 50th birthday - a BSA from the war and an Ariel Red Hunter. We are trying to get the BSA ridable and restore the Ariel, then we can restore the BSA. trouble is there isn't much spark being generated so we cant get it running. We have stripped down the magneto to find no fault. I think the magnets are weak myself but how do you test magnetic strength!!! Now I know there are a few old bike aficionados on here so if you have any ideas please drop me a line

The plan had been to get the Marlin to Stoneleigh but as that date draws ever nearer and the car seems to make increasing numbers of problems its looking like its going to be tight. Still, I'm betting I get mine on the road before Jez....

Comment

Very funny Mr F...engine back in & running...
                So far no sign of oil but only a decent run will tell.
                Sods Law has however intervened - reinserting engine & box has caused some collateral damage, namely the reverse light switch has had one of its terminals terminated & a breather on the cam cover has breathed its last. The latter I can fix the former requires more thought as the last thing I want to do is lower the sodding lump again...as there is no room to remove the switch with box (type 9) in situ. I may resort to a hole saw & then fit a cover plate...
                Happy days...
                Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Had a similar rpob with switch, 50mm hole saw made the task simple, and plugged the hole with a 52mm blank grommet, got a couple spare, need one mail me, but it'll take time from the other side of the channel!

Comment

Darn! Id better get me skates on...

Comment

thurs: The engine and gearbox had been previously mated and the whole shebang slid under the car on my welding trolley. My new engine leveller had arrived and now was the chance to try it out - result? Cant imagine how I managed without one.
                      The engine and box were elevated up into the car's engine bay and after some judicious fiddling and altering alignment with the leveller the mounts were re-aligned. there was plenty of room and I even have left the rad in place. All I need to do tomorrow is pop the gearbox tail in place and align the mount bracket. Mustnt forget to make sure I connect speedo cable and avoid damaging reverse switch (not that I have a reverse light on this one!). Jez, I have some of those proper hole punches if you need one.
                      Now one thing I haven't been pleased about is the angle of the gearlever - it interferes with the handbrake and in one and three you can bang knuckles on the dashboard. I will be looking at solutions at Stoneleigh so if you see a weird bloke upside down in your passenger area its probably me. Right, time to make the kid's tea and mop the wfe's brow (she returned from Burma and promptly developed Legionnaire's disease so is feeling a bit poorly). The lad I got the car for seems to find it more interesting to go swimming in the river so its all down to me at the moment.

Comment

Ready for Stoneleigh then Mr F...?
                        I read your kind offer of a hole punch 10 minutes after carefully using a hole saw to cut through the tunnel side
                        As for the leveller, perhaps I should get one...anything to stop Tarzan the T-series swinging around like a loon destroying sundry important bits would be a good idea.

It could also come in useful for a new project (subject to budgetary approval)...

I'm starting an early Xmas list...

Comment

Hi Cameron, I used to have an Ariel Red Hunter, and am actually looking for a 500 single to restore right now. Just seen your post re the magneto. The problem with it will more than likely be the windings insulation, think it was called Shellack, which deteriorates over time. Only way forward is either to get them rewound, a place in Aberystwyth does it for about £400 pounds, ouch, or, buy an electronic version that sits inside the old magneto, or do what my brother did and use the points on the end of the magneto and convert to a coil system, hiding the coil under the seat, and hope it doesn't rain otherwise you'll know about it!!!
                          I can find the address for rewinding the mag if you want it. My mates having one done now and they use modern insulated wiring and it should last forever.
                          Gareth.

Comment

thanks to all teh very useful replies and support - it makes it a lot easier knowing there are such knowledgable helpful people about.
                            Anyway, this weekend.... and in the spirit of being a complete idiot ....

everything went according to plan. As if on cue, Burlen fuel delivered the parts to refurbish the SU HIF6 carbs (from an Austin Princess 2.2) and so I didnt need to do the single carb conversion (even though I had already completed it and tested it prior to pulling the lump). So everything goes back in. carbs dont leak, I take off the manifolds again to get the down pipes in (duh) pop in tyhe starter and oil cooler pipes etc etc etc/ Turn the key after two hours of work and hear a clunk. The whole lot is jammed solid. Now I know the engine was truning freely before putting in the clutch and the gearbox too as I turned the main shaft when fiddling about. But everything now is solid and wont move. I will pull the starter tomorrow to see if its stuck but Im guessing something has come adrift. Anyone any ideas?

Comment

Sorry to hear that. You probably have a good idea about where to start looking so I'll just wish you luck

Rgds DC

Comment

Luck not needed DC - just a can of petrol and a lighter...good job I dont smoke or it would have gone up in flames by now!

Comment

Working...
                                X