Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rear Drum Brakes

Just had a thought !.
    Any persom know what effect it has on rear brakes if you over tighten handbrake cable ?. Could that be a problem ?.
    I remember last MOT tester yanked on handbrake and a sudden ping occured. It was later found by him that both handbrake cable sleeves had entered the drum back plate casing and his rectification was to put a washer on cable sleeve as it entered back plate drum to ensure sleave stayed on outside of backplate whist handbrake was used !!.
    Need to get some batteries for camara then after Mothers day trip I will post them.
    However I did clean out the two self adjusters (one each side)while brakes off and can confirm they are working.
    (It is a Mk3 Cortina with 2ltre large brakes)
    Beginning to think like Danny that the shoes are mounted incorrectly, but they are per handbook picture, did check at time of change that they were of same width size, but didnot check length of linning on each shoe !.

Comment

I've been sitting here trying to get my head around it. Yup, if the shoes are incorrect or installed incorrectly then the friction will change depending on direction of rotation.
      I recently changed my handbrake cable. The new type has a big nylon adjuster instead of the two little lock nuts as previously. The geometry of the mechanism that applies the handbrake seems to be rather arcane. With the automatic adjusters operating correctly ie with the brakes fully adjusted for travel, then the handbrake cable must be adjusted to allow only a tiny movement of the plastic buttons at the rear of each backplate. This took ages due to recalcitrant automatic brake adjusters and wear / tightness in the conglomeration of linkages. (I even removed the drums in turn and very gently pressed the brake pedal to advance the adjuster one click. This took out the linkage wear but didn't cause any binding. Once the geometry was right, and with the mod to that link bar, I finally got a reliable hand brake. Now, for reasons of brake balance I use the smaller Cortina drums and backplates with the larger discs on the front.. I've got a feeling that the larger rear brakes operate differently...so I'll shut up Danny, with this set up I get good scores on the MoT test and when braking hard the car is well balanced and stops very abruptly!!
      Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Pictures as requested attached
        Same handbrake set up as Dane and have adjusted same as per text in manual. Pictures taken today with drum off they look just like manual pictures , all correct. Picture scan is top and bottom of brake one side also backplate washer fitted on cable to stop cable entering backplate by garage last year. Opposite side is exactly in reverse to thease.

Comment

DSC00004.JPGDSC00004.JPGDSC00002.JPGmore photosDSC00002.JPGRegards previous message.

Comment

Finially have brakes.
            Having spoken to an old Ford mechanic (yes, older than me ) !.He talked me throu how it all woks on a Cortina then on my a Berly.
            Basic story is ,"I dont us it as a family car would be used out of a repair workshop".
            The handbrake workes on a canterlever action, when applied strain in used via cable. This places leading shoe into contact with drum (forward motion) then canter forcrum leaver pushes trailing shoe on to drum (reverse motion). The Single fluid slave pushes both shoes on to drum
            On leaving a garage workshop owner/drivers were asked to apply brakes lightly when safe, to allow bedding of new shoes (leading shoes would wear first). These linning were asbestos and metal fillings. ( softer than new ones today)
            This would alow adjusting worm device to take up slack. Hanbrake cable slack was called 3 clicks to apply lightly and five to hold either way.
            Because I use my car on shortish runs and then use full braking mostly, the forcrum action will not funtion correctly to adjust slack on trailing shoes at incept. Therefor I need to self adjust worm on forcrum bracket to maximum on trailing shoe with drum just fitting on after.
            As eventually wear takes place on leading shoes, the worm adjusters will then opporate as required normally on trailing shoe.
            I think I have said it right. Either way it works forwards and backwards with 3/5 clicks on hadbrake.
            Happy Berly .

Comment

Working...
            X