X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roadster seats

Hi Folks,

Generic opening paragraph.
    I've spent the last day or two having a look at my roadster and am gearing myself up to get started with a few of the intital jobs. In my build thread i've said there are a number of different jobs to tackle and am going to split my questions out into seperate threads so that future people searching for similar answers to my questions wont have to trawl through pages of my guff and badly taken pictures. So apologies if i spawn a lot of threads in the next day or two but i have a number of things burbling in my head at the moment and want to ask a lot of questions.
    mods - if you want to merge/move/delete threads no probs.

So lets be about it.

This thread is about seats.
    Long and short is I want new ones but the sporty / classic / whatever ones I see on places like intatrim are a bit of a turnoff to me. Don't know why but it might just have something to do with my recent redundancy. Has anyone ever come across any regular car seats that fit? I suspect not as I've had a bloody good look around a few breakers yards and couldn't see anything even vaguely close tp the 15 inches i have in the base of my roadster. I also had a good look around on here and couldn't find anything..

In the meantime i have given the original marlin seats a damn good clean and they have come up reasonably nicely. If used i will have to put new foam in the back as right now there is quite literally none.

Question. has anyone ever fitted headrests to these? Seems like a bad idea but ......

Here is a pic of the work in progress on my first seat base. You can see on the left what they were like and then on the right when about half the muck was off. I'll probably take some more pictures tomorrow showing how well they came up. If you don't have "pink stuff" in your cleaning arsenal then you are missing out. the stuff is amazing on just about any job.
    2014407162308.jpg

rooha

Re: roadster seats

I'm going to adapt the seats out of my Sprite. They are obviously too wide but the simple design means easy to remove the covers, cut them down the middle, remove a couple of inches then weld back together. Covers again are simple so plan is to get an upholsterer to adapt them.
    This is what Spridget seat frames look like -

They have bosses for headrests and recline / tilt forward (for access to rear area ?)
    If you want something "off the shelf" look at Land Rover Defender centre seats. The outers are too wide but the centre is just about right. Not expensive to buy new either if aftermarket items rather then genuine used. They aren't bucket type though.

Paul h
    Last edited by CompoSimmonite; 12-04-14, 06:16 AM.

Comment

How about these.......

They should fit as these were original equipment for the early Westfields. Worth asking how wide they are as I think they did a slightly wider version for the later wide bodied version.
      These also benefit from having the ability to take a headrest. They use any with a single oval type stem like those from an MGB.
      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
      - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Originally posted by jon.cox View Post
        How about these.......

They should fit as these were original equipment for the early Westfields. Worth asking how wide they are as I think they did a slightly wider version for the later wide bodied version.
        These also benefit from having the ability to take a headrest. They use any with a single oval type stem like those from an MGB.
        Interesting looking ones. I've messaged the guy and will report back.

Comment

How about these.....

These are not actually Caterham seats. They are very early rx777 seats that are now produced by interiors seating. These are lovely seats, I should know I have a pair. Only issue I would say is be carefull of the rake of the back. I do not currently use mine as I am 6foot and have a swb roadster and the back of the seat leans back too much which does not give me enough room. My intention is to modify them some how to give me the leg length I need.
          Hope this helps.
          Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
          - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

They look well smart jon. The good news is that I'm a shortarse and my roadster is a long wheel base.
            Last edited by rooha; 12-04-14, 11:25 PM.

Comment

How about these.....

These are not actually Caterham seats. They are very early rx777 seats that are now produced by interiors seating. These are lovely seats, I should know I have a pair. Only issue I would say is be carefull of the rake of the back. I do not currently use mine as I am 6foot and have a swb roadster and the back of the seat leans back too much which does not give me enough room. My intention is to modify them some how to give me the leg length I need.
              Hope this helps.
              went for 522 quid in the end. More than i paid for my car !

Comment

How about these.......

well, looks like these are the ones ie i won the auction at £57. It'll cost about 40 quid in petrol and probably 4 - 5 hours driving in total but thats okay. now to decide which day out of this long weekend will have the least traffic on the roads.

edit - the seller never got back to me with the width so I'm taking a bit of a chance on these.

Comment

I had a pair of those in my Sportster. You can get headrests to match. I think the headrests I bought were from an MGB but have a look on ebay as they come up from time to time. (Sorry but I can find a good photo of the seats). Mine came from a Westfield 7.

Marlin Sportster by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                  X