Any fitted a LCB exhaust to a 1275 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any fitted a LCB exhaust to a 1275 ?

Not a straightforward 1275 swop for the 1800TC in my Roadster as I'm using a Sprite / Midget version, together with gearbox, which doesn't have the engine mounts on the block. This is something I can easily solve.
    The twin carbs are being replaced with a single Hif 44 on a water heated manifold and now I'm thinking about what exhaust manifold to use. I've got two 1275 types (different downpipe attachment) but am wondering if I should go with a LCB off a Mini. I know it won't be a bolt on job and will need modifying but wonder if anyone has already gone down that route with a 1275 and is willing to give their opinion / experiences ?
    I've tried searching for "LCB" but the search function requires more characters !

Cheers.

Paul H

Re: Any fitted a LCB exhaust to a 1275 ?

Hi Paul

I have fitted a Metro manifold and exhaust with an Hiff44 carb.

The good thing about the Hiff44 carb is that it has a heat shield which stops the exhaust heat from vaporizing the fuel.

And I qoute via Mini Mania;

Alternatively, if you want the extra performance an LCB can give, but want the noise damping effect the cast iron manifold gives, get your hands on one of the cast LCB-type manifolds as fitted to the Metro (the MG Metro’s one is separate from the inlet - saves the sawing/grinding ordeal). With a pair of replacement tubular down-pipes fitted performance will be just as good as a tubular LCB on all but the more heavily modified engines expected to give 86-87bhp or more.

Mine is like this:

$_1.jpg

This has two outlets and one is longer than the other so you will need the Metro Exhaust or at least the top halve to fit to the manifold.

There isn't a lot of space under the bonnet but it just about fits.

This is not water cooled one so another type may not be so tight.

I have used an adapted Metro exhaust but it means the exhaust goes under the chassis rather than through the side.

This was a straight bolt on job, no adaption needed.

The ground clearance is ok for sleeping policeman.

Hope this helps.

Adrian
    Last edited by listerjp2; 23-04-14, 12:06 PM.

Comment

I had a cast iron manifold on an Ital A+ engine that I cut the inlet aspect off due to already having the water heated item I intend using on the Marlin. This was going to be used in my Minor along with a BW65 autobox. In the end got fed up of the Minor (preferred my A35 and it was a case of either one or the other) before the conversion was done. Now can't find the exhaust part so suspect it got binned :-(
      Anyway you can get twin downpipes for the twin exhaust "off the shelf" as available from one of the Minor parts suppliers (sorry can't remember which one)

Paul H

Comment

Just managed to get a Mini LCB to modify off eBay - for 99p

Paul h

Comment

Hiya

Cut that down and a bit of welding and you will be able to hang it out the side.

Adrian

Comment

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
            Hiya

Cut that down and a bit of welding and you will be able to hang it out the side.

Adrian
            That's the plan. Of course need to fit engine first :-) Not sure what to use for silencer though - might look at what's available for Caterham, Westfield, Locost etc.

Paul h

Comment

Working...
            X