Patience rewarded, well done
    Rgds DC

Comment

Re: Not so much a rebuild as an engine swap

yes looks brilliant!

Comment

Looking very good Chris.

Millie passed her SVA in 2005 and has a 2005 Zetec. But she is built from a 1989 Ford Sierra GL Estate and has an age related plate. She has to meet 1989 emission tests. I have had to argue with a couple of MOT testers but always win my case in the end. She does have a cat and I’m a little disappointed that she doesn’t meet the 2005 criteria anymore. I can’t figure out what has changed.

I’m very impressed that you managed to get the steering shaft past the original inlet manifold.
        Paul

Comment

Hi Paul,
          The engine mounts were made at my local motor factors/garage, Gillams of Wincanton. Their ace mechanic Dean and I put the engine in place and decided on where the best clearances were. Dean then took the old engine mounts, cut them and welded on Zetec engine mounting plates that I got from Rally Design.

As far a emissions goes the path through the MOT tester's manual is a complicated flow chart, and where you end up really can depend on exactly how you interpret the questions. I've decided to go down the CAT route to resolve any issues at MOT time.

The engine lumpyness was cause by not blanking off all the holes in the inlet manifold. Now it starts immediately and ticks over nicely at about 900 rpm.

So new exhaust/MOT on Monday. I've got to take it to Shaftsbury for that which is a 15 mile trip, so it should be a shake down run. Wife will be following me with a car full of tools and a tow rope, just in case!
          Chris
          Last edited by chris_cussen; 21-06-17, 08:26 AM. Reason: Typos

Comment

Well yesterday was MOT day.
            Pre – MOT checks on Saturday seemed to show that everything was OK except the left/right indicators. The Hazard warning worked and I found the interior of the switch was all corroded. It can be dismantled but I never have had luck doing these types of repairs. Usually there is a spring that escapes or a bit that keeps falling out.
            Anyway I took it apart, cleaned it, re-assembled it and crikey! It worked.

Now I have been through the MOT test manual several times and decided, finally, that I need a CAT in the exhaust system. So I booked an MOT at Powerflow in Shaftesbury so they could make me a new system.

Omex had said that for the first 50 miles to keep the RPM down to 3000 and only use half throttle, so followed by SWMBO we went to Shaftesbury. Bugger me if the indicators didn’t work.

At Powerflow we had a discussion about the system and I left the car there for the day. It failed its MOT, Battery lose, rear NS brake seeping fluid and one of the number plate lights not working. Funnily enough the indicators DID work, but by the time I found out I had ordered a new switch on eBay. Overall not too bad.

A bit more engineering required.

Major suppliers I used:
            Omex – Engine, ECU and wiring loom,
            Burton Power – Zetec exhaust manifold, Capri clutch release bearing
            Rally design – MT75 clutch fork pin.
            Auto Silicon Hoses- Water plumbing stuff, trunking for air filter.
            CBS – Air filter and sundry hose connectors.
            Last edited by chris_cussen; 27-06-17, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Small update, run the egine in now.
              The only issue so far has been the oil breathers. I had thought that having them terminate in a small air filter and high up in the engine bay would be adequate, but I was wrong, so now they vent into the trunking after the air filter and before the inlet manifold.
              My ETB speedometer as two logging functions, 0-60 and standing 1/4mile. I just tried the 0-60, not too aggressive start and shifting at 6200rpm from 1st to 2nd. With the MT75 gearbox it will do over 60 in 2nd, and I recorded a time of 6.8seconds. Cor!

Comment

My Hunter with the 2.3 ford engine is supposed to hit 60 in 5.5 seconds I have never bothered checking it as it always seems quick enough. However if the engine was to go bang I have a complete 2.3 mercedes Kompressor engine and box [auto] which I think would make a nice match to the car

Comment

That’s an impressive time. I’ve heard said that 0-60 is best measured using only second gear.
                  Paul

Comment

Hmmm. Might try second only. Its a bit of a trade off, faster take off, but time lost doing the gear change. I may experiment!

Comment

Yes just looked at the original brochure 5.5 to 60, 115 mph top speed, average 40 mpg and weighs 760kg

Comment

Never believe what you read in a brochure!
                        At IVA mine weighed in at 850kg.
                        I never got better than 35mpg when I was being anal and recording everything.
                        Theoretically with 760kg 0-60 in 5.5 is achievable if you have more than 134bhp, but I think you have to be fairly brutal to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by chris_cussen View Post
                          Never believe what you read in a brochure!
                          At IVA mine weighed in at 850kg.
                          I never got better than 35mpg when I was being anal and recording everything.
                          Theoretically with 760kg 0-60 in 5.5 is achievable if you have more than 134bhp, but I think you have to be fairly brutal to do it.
                          My last two toys a 2006 shelby mustang and a 91 vette with the lotus developed engine were both very quick and could fry tyres when asked. The Hunter with its 150 hp and small weight seems to accelerate very well, I will get my mate to put the timing gear on it, and try it as you have got me curios now. Plus I will weigh it, it is the short wheelbase car but whether 4 inches makes much of a difference I dont know

Comment

Originally posted by peterboat View Post
                            My last two toys a 2006 shelby mustang and a 91 vette with the lotus developed engine were both very quick and could fry tyres when asked. The Hunter with its 150 hp and small weight seems to accelerate very well, I will get my mate to put the timing gear on it, and try it as you have got me curios now. Plus I will weigh it, it is the short wheelbase car but whether 4 inches makes much of a difference I dont know
                            Weighed my Hunter with 2.0 Efi mine is also SWB
                            Total 960kg

Comment

Weighed my Roadster on the weighbridge at Par Docks (china clay) 740kg.

Comment

Mine comes in at just over 500Kg. Was originally weighed at the local scrap yard and then confirmed on my cousin’s rollers which had just been re-calibrated!
                                Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Working...
                                X