Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saying hello

Hi,

Just thought I'd pop in and say hello. We (me and the missus) picked up a Cabrio LWB a few months ago but we've only been able to play with it properly in the last few weeks and I've got to say that it's an absolute joy! Roof up, roof down, in the sun, in driving rain we can't fault it. 34mpg motorway trips and 25 when playing with the loud pedal it's even economical (for a loud fast roadster ). Surprisingly practical as well. We got 6 2.5l tins of paint and a piece of ply wood in the back today and a lawnmower last week!

I've always wanted one and I introduced the wife to them a few years ago (she wanted to own a convertible before 30 so I showed her Marlin Cabrios expecting a quick no but she loved it). In the winter the time seemed right and the prices looked good so we had a quick look, saw a couple and found a fantastic little machine with an EFI engine with a decent roof, electric windows and a radio (all the creature comforts).

The guy who built it did a fantastic job. We've got all the manuals, Ford Sierra Haynes manual with botes and even the engine output graphs (many Torques, lots of Horses) so I shouldn't have too much trouble with it I hope. Main issues so far are that the fuel gauge usually reads full (even after 200miles), the speedometer reads 10% over (not sure whether that is to prevent speeding or to allow speeding at legal limits ) and the temperature guage reads <50C most of the time. The engine is definitely hotter than that so I need to have look at that. We've also noticed the engine fumes getting into the cabin with the roof down but I'm not sure I'm going to do much about that for the moment as it's a relatively big job and the missus doesn't want me breaking it so soon .

MOT in a few weeks. So far nothing I'm worried about. A few bits to tighten but it all seems good so far.

If any of you are in the Leamington / Banbury area then we're the blue noisey thing that's been cruising around for the last few weeks.

Re: Saying hello

Welcome! Glad you are having fun in the cabrio I sure someone will be along presently to help with your maladies too. If you have a search I'm sure someone posted about exhaust problems not so long ago
    cheers

Comment

Hi slh

Glad to hear you are enjoying your new Cabrio.

Exhaust fumes in the cabin when the hood is down is a common issue apparently - I currently have the problem too.
      There appear to be two main solutions that different owners recommend.

From what I have gleaned, the more certain way to solve the issue is to take the final exhaust exit out to the side of the car behind the rear wheel, and away from the rear tub.
      There are some who say point the final tail pipe down at the ground.

The second option, and not exclusive of the first, is to add a wind shield across the back tub, just behind the passenger seats to prevent fumes rolling back into the cockpit. The modern MG has a detachable wind shield which is a perfect size to fit a Cabrio. Several have been fitted, and Peter Licence has some useful measurements of the simple brackets he made to fit his. He will also advise that it is necessary to prevent air rushing under the wind shield and through the gap between the passenger seats if not closed off. Peter solved this by attaching his hood bag to a lower rail as part of the MG wind shield support bracketry arrangement.
      I'm sure he'll be along soon to explain with dimensions, and photos, when he returns from holiday.

I currently have my exhausts exiting directly out the rear of my Cabrio, close to the centre of the tub and suffer quite a lot from exhaust fumes rolling back into the cabin. This is definitely not a good solution!

As I like the look of the twin pipes where they are, I plan to get my hood made and fitted, then fit the MG wind deflector as per Peter's idea, and see how it works. If fumes still roll in, then my last and least favoured option will be to divert the fumes out behind the rear wheels.
      If you are not fussed where your exhaust exits, I'd suggest going straight out to the side and solve your problem easily and cheaply.

Mike
      Last edited by Mike; 22-06-14, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Hi slh, good to know you're on here and still loving the Cabrio

This was my simple solution
        Attached Files

Comment

It seems that the main requirement for centre exit pipes is that they extend beyond the body line. My tailpipes are level with the bumpers. Also Mike hasn't fitted his hood yet. This will make a significant difference to the airflow at the rear of the car as the top edge of the hood bag is about 200mm above the edge of the rear tub. Peter.

Originally posted by Mike View Post
          Hi slh

Glad to hear you are enjoying your new Cabrio.

Exhaust fumes in the cabin when the hood is down is a common issue apparently - I currently have the problem too.
          There appear to be two main solutions that different owners recommend.

From what I have gleaned, the more certain way to solve the issue is to take the final exhaust exit out to the side of the car behind the rear wheel, and away from the rear tub.
          There are some who say point the final tail pipe down at the ground.

The second option, and not exclusive of the first, is to add a wind shield across the back tub, just behind the passenger seats to prevent fumes rolling back into the cockpit. The modern MG has a detachable wind shield which is a perfect size to fit a Cabrio. Several have been fitted, and Peter Licence has some useful measurements of the simple brackets he made to fit his. He will also advise that it is necessary to prevent air rushing under the wind shield and through the gap between the passenger seats if not closed off. Peter solved this by attaching his hood bag to a lower rail as part of the MG wind shield support bracketry arrangement.
          I'm sure he'll be along soon to explain with dimensions, and photos, when he returns from holiday.

I currently have my exhausts exiting directly out the rear of my Cabrio, close to the centre of the tub and suffer quite a lot from exhaust fumes rolling back into the cabin. This is definitely not a good solution!

As I like the look of the twin pipes where they are, I plan to get my hood made and fitted, then fit the MG wind deflector as per Peter's idea, and see how it works. If fumes still roll in, then my last and least favoured option will be to divert the fumes out behind the rear wheels.
          If you are not fussed where your exhaust exits, I'd suggest going straight out to the side and solve your problem easily and cheaply.

Mike

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm not going to be playing with the exhaust for the moment but it's given me something to start thinking about. I hadn't considered bringing it out the side in front of rear tyre but I've always liked the idea of a side exhaust. We'll have to see how much annoys me over the summer .

Comment

Hi slh
              Welcome to the club, glad you are enjoying the Cabrio
              If you do a Forum search under (exhaust fumes whilst driving)
              This is a thread I started in 2012 not long after I bought mine and had a big problem with fumes,you will see several pics and peoples ideas to cure this
              Having mine turned down as shown worked a treat!
              Good luck
              Bryan
              Stapley Bryan

Comment

When Paul built the 1st Cabrio he finally decided to exit the exhaust to one corner at the rear.
                It seems that the shape of the car causes to wind to be deflected by the screen and act as a huge roller that suck exhaust back over the boot lid, or wheel, hood cover etc.
                FMB has 2 exhausts that exit on either corner, but I was still getting a smell of exhaust at certain times.
                I fitted two down-pointing trims and the smell has gone. A bit sad cos I really like the look without them.
                Derek

Comment

Working...
                X