Hello everybody........... I'm Dan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello everybody........... I'm Dan

Hello everybody........... I'm Dan, 37 years young, Male (last time I checked), and I was born and currently live in Northern Ireland.

So how did I get here? That is a very good question!

Well for the last 8-10 years or so most of my daily drivers have been of the Derv variety, some of the later ones pretty rapid, some not lol.

I decided about 4 years ago that I was missing the fun I had in my younger days with various fast Fords, Golfs, Audis and even a grey import Mk2 MR2 Turbo.

I had been searching, papers, autotrader (ni) for some time in search of one of those fun vehicles from my past when I accidentally searched the UK site and happened across a 1990 Audi 90 2.3E (5 cylinder noise is awesome, only surpassed by a V8. imo of course), this is now the 6th of this exact model I have had in my lifetime lol.

The car was a very low mileage (52,000) FFSH, All the original keys, all mot's, All receipts, registered to a guy on disabled tax up until the last year before the guy I bought it off bought it for his son, who decided he didn't want it, he was after something air cooled lol.

My memory has lied to me however, this is not a quick car by any stretch of the imagination. It can go ok when driven in anger, but mostly it is just a comfy sofa on wheels.
    Don't get me wrong, I would't sell it, but I yearn for something more interesting.

I had wanted a MK2 Fiesta to rip out it's failing heart and drop in a 2.0Zetec......... That could be a serious laugh......... Mk2 Fiesta's even rotton ones fetch too much money over here.

Then I decided I would search for a Mk2 Golf same thing again, only drop in a tuned 1.8T engine........... again even rotton abused 4 door examples....... same problem...... silly money. In to the bargain this has been done to death apparently.

I could travel to mainland Uk to bring something home, but, 4 years ago to pick the 90 up from Nottingham, flights for 2 into East Midlands Airport, The seller was a decent chap and lifted us from the airport. Then a tank full of petrol, drive there to Liverpool, get the ferry to Belfast with cabins to sleep overnight, and food, it cost the best part of £600 then lol. I'm sure it hasn't got any cheaper since.

I was slightly miffed by all this and decided I wanted something a bit different. I happened across a Haynes build your own sportscar......... I'm hooked, this is for me.............. it would need some modification, for a start I'm tall enough that my hair rubs the roof of my current car should it not be kept very short lol. That and I'm not a skinny guy either lol.

This got me thinking (dreaming) the chassis would need to be both a bit longer and wider, a door (on both sides) would be nice....... Don't much like eating flies...... so a windscreen would be nice........... hmmmm the weather forcast here most days is rain.......... fold down roof would be nice..............

So I searched in vein for a Sierra, as I knew this as a donor vehicle would give me the most engine options. No luck here anyway, all been used for banger racing.
    Ok next option MX5, not really fussed, same problem silly prices even for damaged ones (the difference between prices of 1990 ish cars and 2000ish cars was none (crazy).

So some more reading on locost/Haynes forums BMW doner is the next option, there have been builds albeit with little or no info unfortunately, but I like a challenge lol!

Maybe a bit more luxury, french polished walnut dash, leather, a bit of sound proofing and some plush carpet, chrome...... I could go on.

So if I had gone to all that bother wouldn't it then be nice to go on driving holidays eg. down through France, across Spain, down through Italy and back......... hmmm, yeah, that would be cool/hot lol, maybe would have to be economical too?

Thinking BMW 320D Auto for a pretty rapid, economical tourer........... Don't spit and throw bricks at me just yet lol I could change my mind yet lol

It seems there or no shortage of doner BMW's and the market is that flooded they go for very little, depending on engine choice of course. A few weeks back there was a cat d damage 2003 vintage 320D Auto, 90something thousand miles locally for £520 to take away. Had I had the money spare I would have had it.

I don't know how exactly, but on youtube i happened across a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttlr3ahQTYA

Hmmm oh very nice, found more videos, and then pictures of the Cabrio................. I fell in love. I want one so bad or atleast a replica of one lol.

So that is how I have got here, typing this introduction to you folk!
    I know it was quite long winded, but hopefully mildly amusing too.

Dan.

Re: Hello everybody........... I'm Dan

yes, and welcome onboard Dan. Have you sourced a car yet?

Comment

Thanks Cameron, Not yet sourced a car! Doing lots of research first..

Comment

Dan What did you decide?
        Originally posted by dgacampbell View Post
        Thanks Cameron, Not yet sourced a car! Doing lots of research first..

Comment

Originally posted by stevepritch View Post
          Dan What did you decide?
          Last on the forum in 2014. His decision is irrelevant now.
          MOC member since 05/97
          1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Working...
          X