New owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New owner

Hi Guys. I've been on the lookout for a kit car for a couple of months now and saw an ad on Gumtree for the one in the pics. At a grand it seemed too good an opportunity to miss, so I bought it unseen and had it delivered by shiply.
    m1.JPGm2.JPGm3.JPG

As expected it wasn't as good looking as the pics, but not too bad. I'm hoping someone on here will know something about the car as there is a sticker on it showing Marlin club member 2008 (I have now joined also). The logbook says it has a 1360cc engine.....is this possible on an A series? The side pipe is very loud, and it runs as if it has an uprated cam. It has been sat a couple of years so it probably needs a bit of a tune up.

I foolishly booked an MOT for Friday afternoon, but at least I can find out what needs doing. I spent this evening sorting all the lights as only one headlight, indicator and tail light was working! Tomorrow evening is set aside for a new horn and steering rack gaiter.

If I do get the car on the road I hope to see some of you at Donnington!

Cheers
    John

Re: New owner

Welcome to Marlin ownership. 1360 cc is possible but more likely 1340 which is 60 thou oversize. Standard bore size for 1275 is I think 70.6mm so using 73mm pistons gives 1340. Anything over that requires offset boring the block as the walls between no 2 and 3 cylinders is on the limit and a change to the piston stroke to up the cc. I believe it's possible to achieve close to 1500 but that requires a lot of work and deep pockets. Twin cam is another possibility using if my memory is correct a BMW K1 motorbike cylinder head.
    Hope to see you at Donington
    Where are you based?
    Regards Alan

Comment

13/60 is a possible Triumph Herald engine although the exhaust would be on the right. what's the engine number any chance of a picture of the engine bay.
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by dogoncrazy View Post
        Welcome to Marlin ownership. 1360 cc is possible but more likely 1340 which is 60 thou oversize. Standard bore size for 1275 is I think 70.6mm so using 73mm pistons gives 1340. Anything over that requires offset boring the block as the walls between no 2 and 3 cylinders is on the limit and a change to the piston stroke to up the cc. I believe it's possible to achieve close to 1500 but that requires a lot of work and deep pockets. Twin cam is another possibility using if my memory is correct a BMW K1 motorbike cylinder head.
        Hope to see you at Donington
        Where are you based?
        Regards Alan
        Thanks for the info Alan. I knew there was a max for an A series 1275 and thought it was around 1340, and as you say anything more would require "stroking".
        I'm in Nottinghamshire, 5 minutes from J27 of the M1.

Originally posted by b.caswell View Post
        13/60 is a possible Triumph Herald engine although the exhaust would be on the right. what's the engine number any chance of a picture of the engine bay.
        Cheers Ben. Definitely not a Triumph. I'll try to get a pic or two of the engine bay this evening. The small list I had to get it ready for Friday's MOT has increased three fold!

Comment

PM sent.
          definitely a Marina Based roadster.
          MOC member since 05/97
          1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

That is a nice Marlin, damn shame I missed it as was local to me and am looking to swap out of the Vitesse 6 into a Marlin. Although my preference is a later Triumph 6 cylinder based hybrid (marina back en) car with doors and in a 'traditional' colour like green.
            - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
            - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
            - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
            - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
            - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Working...
            X