Viscous or Kenlow Fan unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viscous or Kenlow Fan unit

I have seen the thread regarding kenlow fan fitting etc.
    I have a SWB Hunter that needs a new coupling and fan and I am in a quandary as to which way to go. Reading the thread in cabrio/hunter I am steered to thinking replace as type already fitted (viscous). Any comments and advice welcomed as I am not a great mechanic!! I can see that I will need to drop out the radiator to remove and replace.
    Also any suggestions on where to purchase replacement at a fair price. Jimbo

Re: Viscous or Kenlow Fan unit

Personally I've found if a viscous fan fitted to an ordinary car then they work fine. However when they fail you get virtually no cooling effect and then rather than fitting a new viscous unit I'd opt for an electric fan every time. On a LDV van the viscous unit failed in France and very quickly started overheating. A self tapper through the outer into the inner core locked it up solid and solved the problem
    Have you thought of simply fitting fixed fan ?
    For my Roadster I'm fitting an electric fan simply because I don't have a suitable fixed unit for the Sprite 1275 lump I'm fitting plus already have a suitable new fan "in stock" (bought for my Minor years ago). The fan came off eBay and cost under £40 new. You have a vast choice of used electric fans from scrap yards but most fit between the rad and the engine so space might be limited.

Comment

Working...
    X