Started to Restore My Roadster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Started to Restore My Roadster

I've checked the inside of the old gaiters and there's definitely no sign of oil so I'm going with the grease
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Hi Andy, thats exactly the way I did mine. Ran the rack in and out a number of times adding the grease as I went along, then put some in the gaiter itself. Not too much in the gaiter as it will force out on full lock. Did mine 3 years ago and no trouble ever. Cheers Chris

Comment

Oil via the hole in top centre of rack tube, the one you use when centring the rack. Slide back the band covering the hole and admit with syringe.

Comment

The new dust covers arrived tonight so I've greased the rack and reassembled and refitted the track rod ends. Now I just need to bleed the breaks and put the wheels back on.

Comment

MoT is booked for Friday!

Comment

Originally posted by andyf View Post
              MoT is booked for Friday!
              Good luck.
              - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
              - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
              - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
              - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
              - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

My Marlin passed its first MOT in 18 years today, first time with no advisories! Took my son out for a ride afterwards and we both couldn't stop grinning! He keeps asking when he'll be allowed to drive it

20150130_154717.jpg

Comment

Result!
                  MOC member since 05/97
                  1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                  1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                  Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                  The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I'm still having a few problems with the cooling system. I think that it is the thermostat that's opening too late because it heats up to around 98 and then cools down very quickly to about 88 and then the cycle repeats itself. It's as though the thermostat is not opening properly until it gets really hot. The Ford tuning community seem to suggest that a Mini thermostat is a good replacement as it starts to open at 78 instead of 88... I'm going to have to do some more research.

Comment

The pinto likes to run a bit cooler than 98 - You can get an 82 degree thermostat which should be ideal. see ebay item

The sub 80 ones are probably best for race use only, you can modify a min 74 for example quite easily but it will open too fast to road use.

Comment

Thanks for the link, I've ordered one.

Comment

Isn't it the job of the thermostat to reduce the warm up time of an engine. Once its fully open, the choke is no longer required. It's the Radiator pressure cap that controls the running temperature.
                          That could be why you are getting a cycling hot and cold effect, as the two devices hunt for the happy equilibrium.
                          MOC member since 05/97
                          1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                          Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I've replaced the thermostatwith an 82 version from Burton power and now she runs at a constant 80 on the temperature gauge. Went for a quick drive, it still makes me grin!

Comment

good result - maybe you should make a video

Comment

I will, I just need to get a microphone as the phone one does not do the sound justice

Comment

Working...
                                X