Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

today i visited a rolling road....rover v8 powered ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• today i visited a rolling road....rover v8 powered ...

today i visited a local car show where some guys had a mobile rolling road.

we tested my Rover V8 powered sportster:

3.5L, Rover SD1 engine running on SU carbs, the engine is featured in des hamills book "how to powertune a rover v8"

when i had the heads down i couldnt see any "big" improvements...standard pistons, no porting...standard SU manifold with carbs, even the valves are standard size...but the engine rev´s easily up to 7000rpm

what i have been told from the former owner: the camshaft has been re-profiled and the SU carbs have been modified (no damping oil, updated needle) and the engine was thourougly balanced.

214horsepower@ 6100rpm and 292Nm torque@3600rpm

(values at engine)

wow...i´m impressed....
    Last edited by Sportster-Green; 20-09-14, 04:49 PM.

Re: today i visited a rolling road....rover v8 powered ...

Originally posted by Sportster-Green View Post
    today i visited a local car show where some guys had a mobile rolling road.

we tested my Rover V8 powered sportster:

3.5L, Rover SD1 engine running on SU carbs, the engine is featured in des hamills book "how to powertune a rover v8"

when i had the heads down i couldnt see any "big" improvements...standard pistons, no porting...standard SU manifold with carbs, even the valves are standard size...but the engine rev´s easily up to 7000rpm

what i have been told from the former owner: the camshaft has been re-profiled and the SU carbs have been modified (no damping oil, updated needle) and the engine was thourougly balanced.

214horsepower@ 6100rpm and 292Nm torque@3600rpm

(values at engine)

wow...i´m impressed....
    A factory standard 3 litre BMW M54 straight 6 will effortlessly deliver 228 BHP @ 5900rpm, and 300Nm @3500rpm, with a superflat torque curve from 1800rpm

........and achieve 35mpg!

Comment

Your point being!
      But Its still not a V8 is it?

Regards
      STV8C - (Save the V8 Club)
      YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8

Comment

when selecting my latest eurobox (an audi of course) they told me I could have one which was a diesel but had artificial V8 noises pumped through the Bose speaker system - what do you think of that???

Comment

Cameron : I hope its an AUDI model that's had the Euro N Cap test!! don't believe everything they tell you.
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Turpin View Post
            Your point being!
            But Its still not a V8 is it?

Regards
            STV8C - (Save the V8 Club)
            The original post was talking up the performance of the Rover V8 3.5, which is a bit of a myth................

In standard tune it only achieves 150BHP, so this one is moderately tuned, but even cammed up, it does not achieve the performance of a standard tune family spec'd BMW 3.0 litre straight 6, which is:

Smoother
            Quicker
            Faster
            Lighter
            Has Bullet-proof reliability (200,000+ mile is common)
            40 years newer technology
            - ECU controlled Variable Valve Timing / Variable Inlet runners (extends power and torque curves)
            Computer diagnostics simplifies fault finding
            Very low emissions
            Electronic fuel injection - far more accurate / fuel efficient

With petrol costing £7 per gallon, and the Rover V8 only achieving 18-20mpg, its performance is questionable against its efficiency when set against more modern engines offering almost twice the economy AND better performance?

But if you want to talk about a V8's glorious sound track? - who could put a price on it???
            Last edited by Mike; 22-09-14, 09:33 PM.

Comment

rover v8 compared to rover v8 would be ok...but why should i compare it to a BMW engine?

am I interested how many miles i can drive per gallon? this is my hobby and if i start to calculate the fuel consumption for my "fun" car i will better sell the car.

Comment

the above mentioned figures are DIN-PS ( DIN 70020)

1,014 DIN-PS = 1 bhp

Comment

Working...
                X