Dulux or Hammerite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dulux or Hammerite?

The Roadster rebuild continues at a snail's pace ... but I have now got to the stage where I want to smarten-up parts of the chassis and suspension without further dismantling (so powder coating is out of the question). What's the current view on (gloss black) paint - Dulux-type or Hammerite? I trend towards the Dulux-type, as it always seems to produce a thinner coat, but the views of others would be appreciated. Andrew.

Re: Dulux or Hammerite?

Hi Andrew, I'm sticking with Dulux. I pre-treated mine with some rust eater before painting it. Andy
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

My choice would be dulux. When I built my Berli 20 years ago I used several coats of red oxide primer and several coats of dulux. When I came to restore the car most of the paint was still in reasonable condition.

Comment

Have to agree with Scott a good red oxide on bare metal then dulux would be my advice to.

Comment

For a couple of new (galv'd / primed) Land Rover chassis I went around all the various paint outlets to see which was heaviest per litre. Turned out Wilkinsons satin black was heaviest so therefore had most pigment. It states on tin for internal use but that is because it's visual appearance can be affect by sun rather than any deterioration of protection. After several year the paint was still 100% sound and is what I intend using on my own Roadster.

Comment

Many thanks for the contributions so far. Andrew.

Comment

Whenever I do any gloss black chassis repainting (usually advised by the MOT man while getting a good look from underneath) I smear handfulls of grease all over it.
              Franklin, Leicester

Comment

Hammerite is not what it used to be...I've used it on YTB but never again, red oxide plus Dulux next time (if there is one !)
                Rgds DC

Comment

Originally posted by Franklin, Leicester View Post
                  Whenever I do any gloss black chassis repainting (usually advised by the MOT man while getting a good look from underneath) I smear handfulls of grease all over it.
                  I used to spray mine with old gear oil.
                  Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Every year I spray and brush black waxoyl everywhere underneath. Ghastly stuff to remove from places it isn't needed but a good protector. Remember to wear Rubber gloves when working on anything under the car. It is hard to remove from skin!
                    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Just painted the relevant parts in Dulux Weathershield Gloss Black, 'cos I just happened to have a spare tin in the back of the garage. Looks fine now, if a tad too glossy, but we'll have to see how it stands-up to a season of trialling and power-washing. Thanks for everyone's help and ideas.

Comment

Working...
                      X