Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding power steering to a Hunter

Hi Guys
    My car is a 1998 Ford 2 litre Scorpio powered, surprisingly built in the factory without power steering. I have never found this to be too much of a problem, but my Calendar has just tipped over the 70yrs and other medical problems makes steering at parking speeds now a problem. The original Scorpio and Granada installations were powered I believe, so why not fit out my Hunter in the same way if the parts can be squeezed under the bonnet?
    Obviously I would need a powered rack, plus pump, plumbing and other bits to make it all work. Has anybody done this to a post-build car, and what's involved + costs please? Assuming I go ahead, I will probably entrust this job to my local village garage, staffed by youngish enthusiastic mechanics. I am guessing the bottom line will easily exceed £500, even using good secondhand parts.

Cheers
    Mike

Re: Adding power steering to a Hunter

Take a look in the build diary section. In Mikes Cabrio build page 6 he shows one solution to fitting power steering. I was inspired to try the same on my Berly after seeing what Mike had done. You can read how I got on in my build diary Berlinetta build and restoration page 6. It will be food for thought. Scott.

Comment

Hi Mike

There are no standard power steering kits available for a Cabrio/Hunter, but some members have managed to fit either hydraulic power steering, similar to one of the systems fitted in a Sierra, using a hydraulic pump and steering rack (I think it had to be a Cosworth rack? - as the standard Sierra one does not fit into the Cabrio chassis).
      Alternatively a few have fitted electric motor assisted steering columns (from a Vauxhall Corsa) and connected this to a standard Sierra steering rack.

The only person I know who adapted a Sierra hydraulic set up decided it was not suitable and soon after removed it in favour of the Corsa electric motor option. Those who have fitted the power steering column have been very positive about the benefits - particularly low speed parking: however, there are those who are adamant it is not necessary if you have a well set up steering geometry and tyres which are not too wide!

Although Scott has suggested looking at my build diary, I would suggest my solution is probably not the easiest way to go about achieving power assisted steering. My solution was developed with caution in mind - ie I wanted to create a Sierra column with electric power steering, so that it was totally interchangeable with my standard Sierra steering column in case I did not like it. This meant I did not have to change any of my dash or mounts. If you were to commit to the change I think there are probably easier ways to achieve the desired result ie use the entire Corsa column?

Lee Hunter (former MOC Chairman) has carried out at least 3 Corsa electric motor column conversions in Cabrios/Hunters and it would be well worth making contact with him to see how he thinks is the best way having done it 3 times.

Comment

As Mike says there are those who feel that the result is less than favourable. The present owner of Lee's Cosworth Cabrio being one of them and who I believe is considering removing the system.
        I would ask yourself how much of your driving is spent actually parking. You'll then reach the same conclusion I did - Waste of time and effort!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dogoncrazy View Post
          As Mike says there are those who feel that the result is less than favourable. The present owner of Lee's Cosworth Cabrio being one of them and who I believe is considering removing the system.
          I would ask yourself how much of your driving is spent actually parking. You'll then reach the same conclusion I did - Waste of time and effort!!!
          ......and if you don't arrive at Alan's conclusion, why not contact the member with the Cosworth Cabrio ( his MOC Forum name is Motormouse), and ask if he would sell you his Corsa conversion, which should be a fairly straight forward installation as the hard work has all been done.

Comment

Many thanks Guys, all food for thought.
            Cheers
            Mike

Comment

I have a complete Sierra power steering kit (less water pump double pulley) for a Cabrio using a Cosworth system. I also fitted a Corsa electric system and was brilliant to use.

Comment

there are several companies adapting a vauxhall corsa electric power steering to ford columns...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rix-Engine...item35de7b4423

GRP4 World Cup Cross Member(Lug mounted) Cross Member & Engine mounts GRP4 FABRICATIONS

Last edited by Sportster-Green; 18-11-14, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X