Apparent front wheel bearing play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparent front wheel bearing play

Has anyone else come across the situation where there seems to be sigificant play when rocking the wheel up and down but none side to side. This normally indicates a problem with the suspension mounts but I can feel no play in them. This led me to double check the adjustment method yesterday and while the drivers side is perfect the passenger side still has significant play.

I went on the hunt to try and find the source of this problem and I found this at http://homepages.vodafone.co.nz/~fou...suspension.htm and am wondering if this is the source of my problem.

Something else that needs attending to before final assembly. The outer wheel bearing has a habit of wearing the stub axle. I assume this is due to it turning in service - not sure, but every one I have inspected was a loose fit. This causes one to over tighten the wheel bearings when trying to remove apparent play in the bearings - when in fact the play is between the stub axle and the inside of the outer bearing.

I use a centre punch to expand the surface on the underside of the stub axle, where it is clear the wear has taken place. This makes the outer bearing a tight fit when first assembling - but if you use the standard method of adjustment - then it makes no difference. You tighten the axle nut initially with a spanner - then back it off a flat and make the proper adjustment. It is very difficult to centre punch the stub axle once fitted - so do this before it goes back on the vehicle.
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Re: Apparent front wheel bearing play

Originally posted by andyf View Post
    Has anyone else come across the situation where there seems to be sigificant play when rocking the wheel up and down but none side to side. This normally indicates a problem with the suspension mounts but I can feel no play in them. This led me to double check the adjustment method yesterday and while the drivers side is perfect the passenger side still has significant play.

I went on the hunt to try and find the source of this problem and I found this at http://homepages.vodafone.co.nz/~fou...suspension.htm and am wondering if this is the source of my problem.

Something else that needs attending to before final assembly. The outer wheel bearing has a habit of wearing the stub axle. I assume this is due to it turning in service - not sure, but every one I have inspected was a loose fit. This causes one to over tighten the wheel bearings when trying to remove apparent play in the bearings - when in fact the play is between the stub axle and the inside of the outer bearing.

I use a centre punch to expand the surface on the underside of the stub axle, where it is clear the wear has taken place. This makes the outer bearing a tight fit when first assembling - but if you use the standard method of adjustment - then it makes no difference. You tighten the axle nut initially with a spanner - then back it off a flat and make the proper adjustment. It is very difficult to centre punch the stub axle once fitted - so do this before it goes back on the vehicle.
    That's an excellent article from Kilroy a Marina nut, near Christchurch in NZ. Well worth reading.
    Are you sure all the movement occurs in the hub, and does not originate partly in the trunnion that is susceptible to thread corrosion if they are not kept well greased throughout their life. Eventually either the suspension leg, trunnion or both are beyond redemption.
    Worth noting that as standard there was some play in the front wheel bearings due to their design, It then depends on your definition of some, and significant as viewed by an MOT tester. The bearings are just torqued in place, slackened off and then finger tightened.
    See here or there for the workshop manual.
    Kilroys engineering solution to a loose bearing does work, it saves throwing away an otherwise serviceable suspension leg.

Comment

I've replaced both trunnions and I can't feel any movement in the trunnion or in the top ball joint or the other end of the upper wishbone. I can also see the tyre moving toward the top of the upright so I'm pretty sure that it's in the hub. I'll have to remove the hub and check the fit of the outer bearing on the spindle next.

Comment

There are firms that can Metal Spray, I have used this method in the past on HGV rear axles. It consists of the worn object placed onto a lathe and heated, then a compound is sprayed on the worn parts and later turned down to the correct size. I have used this system on HGV brake cams, oil seal land, and many other parts with excellent results, and reduces the cost of sourcing and buying new parts.
        Phil.

http://www.amphardchrome.co.uk/metal-spraying.php One of the many companies, also a better explanation of the process.
        Last edited by philcoyle; 27-11-14, 01:32 PM.

Comment

That sounds better than hard facing and smoothing off with a grinder as I've seen suggested elsewhere! But wouldn't that require that the spindle be removed from the upright?

Comment

No not always, just think about what it takes to handle a rear axle casing off an HGV. As long as they can centre the part in the machine it rotates very very slowly, and is then ground to the bearing size required. But as usual not everything in life is perfect so I would be inclined to phone around, I was amazed as to what the engineering firm that I used could do. Best to phone around.
            Phil

Comment

That's good to know, thanks Phil

Comment

Just for future reference...
                • Inner Diameter: 17,5 mm
                • Inner Diameter: 27 mm

Source https://www.rexbo.eu

Comment

Thanks for the pointer to the section from the workshop manual.

Comment

here's the parts diagram from our build manuals section

Comment

That sounds better than hard facing and smoothing off with a grinder as I've seen suggested elsewhere! But wouldn't that require that the spindle be removed from the upright?
                      That may be the stumbling block, I think the stub axle and upright are a single forging. If its not I would expect a spare part.
                      You could always try a Loctite product designed to fill up to 0.25mm

Comment

Might a Speedisleeve be an answer?
                        Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                        Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Just for future reference...
                          • Inner Diameter: 17,5 mm
                          • Inner Diameter: 27 mm

Source https://www.rexbo.eu
                          I somehow doubt that a metric bearing would have been used in a British Car designed in the sixties. Those, I think are crudely converted imperial measurements.
                          Someone with a dimensioned parts book might like to look up GHB 101 and GHB 107 the inner and outer bearing part nos to confirm.
                          Last edited by stevejgreen; 28-11-14, 03:39 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Could possibly be rounded up metric size.
                            My favourite, www. simplybearings.co.uk list the bearings LM11749 as 0.6875 or 17.46mm, and LM44649 as 1.0625 or 26.99mm, both bearings are listed as Imperial.
                            speedisleeve is used mainly for replacing worn out oil seal land and not for bearing shimming up, why didn't someone think speedisleeve up years ago, oh well thank the gods for progress.
                            Phil

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                              That may be the stumbling block, I think the stub axle and upright are a single forging. If its not I would expect a spare part.
                              You could always try a Loctite product designed to fill up to 0.25mm
                              I had similar loose bearing on a road legal quad. I used something similar to the Loctite product from eBay and it worked great so can recommend that method if not excessive.

Comment

Working...
                              X