SORN and laying up car for extended period

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SORN and laying up car for extended period

I have a Pinto with a type 9 gearbox and I can release it through the clutch actuating arm aperture without having to remove anything other than the boot that covers the hole.
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Interesting looking tool. Will contemplate in New Year.
      Cheers
      Mike

Comment

Thanks Guys
        I have been unable to find out any clear DVLA policy on re-gaining one's licence. You would have thought that there would be a clear-cut procedure to follow, i.e. I would formally apply to Swansea, together with a signed document purchased via my doctor or other medic to verify my recovery. Then an appointment date could be agreed, to drive my car on say a local road layout, possibly progressing to more busy roads, and maybe even a length of motorway. With the road hazards of modern roads, I for one would be willing to pass some sort of asessment, to satisfy insurance/police requirements etc etc. If anybody can point me towards such an arrangement, I would be pleased to learn the details.

I wont be wedging the clutch in the 'open' position, as it is hydraulically operated and I take the point about causing leaks and strain to to the seals etc. I'll start the engine 'in gear with clutch pedal pressed, and big timber baulks under the front wheels or other ways of stopping the car trying to drive through the end of my garage!

Re the trickle-charger, I bought a very neat robust unit via Amazon for about £15, called "Streetwize Car & Motorcycle Automatic Trickle Battery Charger for Gel / Lead Acid Batteries 12 Volts". It sits neatly on top of my Hunter's engine connected to the the newish adjacent battery and nearest 240v Mains socket, and appears to be doing a good job. I plan to run the engine at say monthly intervals and get it up to full temperature before switching off.

Cheers
        Mike

Guys
        Initial attempts to locate a DVLA policy to re-gain one's licence was not straightforward, but with Google’s help I have now found a suitable document. It looks like it covers most of the angles. Time will tell If it all works when I take the plunge later this year. (Fingers & Toes crossed!)
        Last edited by gouldsborough7; 04-01-15, 10:17 PM. Reason: Located DVLA policy document via Google

Comment

These are the people who I had to use to satisfy doctor / hospital / insurers that I was capable of driving again after a stroke -

Well recommended as their intention is to get you back on the road rather than trying to keep you off it.

Comment

Very interesting! I guess there will be a fee involved, but well worth it if I can get back on the road again, hopefully later this year.

Mike

PS Oops, just noticed the £80 potential subsidised cost!
            Last edited by gouldsborough7; 04-01-15, 10:23 PM. Reason: Discovered the cost of the service.

Comment

Originally posted by gouldsborough7 View Post
              Very interesting! I guess there will be a fee involved, but well worth it if I can get back on the road again, hopefully later this year.

Mike

PS Oops, just noticed the £80 potential subsidised cost!
              I seem to remember hospital saying if I went to my GP and got some sort of referral from them then NHS would foot costs however the time wait for an appointment would be substantially longer. Seeing I hadn't driven for nearly 12 months I was itching to get behind the wheel again so I opted to pay the £70 myself but still had to wait 3 months.

Comment

I have followed some of the above ideas, thanks guys, and rightly or wrongly in addition every couple of weeks, I have started the engine and run it for about half an hour until fairly hot. My thoughts are that it would be desirable to get all of the moving engine parts well lubed. I know a 5-10 mile trip might be better, but not possible under my current circumstances. Anyone got any strong views on this, please?
                Cheers
                MIKE

Comment

I would say what you are doing is right, it will drive off any moisture and get fuel flowing through the carb as well as keeping it lubed.

Comment

No carbs on mine with its 2 DOHC+ injection and electronic injection - last time I drove it went very well!!

Comment

Working...
                    X