Stuck Clutch any ideas ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck Clutch any ideas ?

Went to take Emily for a run today but no joy, started fine but unable to get her in gear as the clutch has seized. Does any one know a quick fix to release the clutch plate or will it mean an engine out job. Engine is a 2.0 pinto with a 4 speed box.

Re: Stuck Clutch any ideas ?

I have had the following idea at the back of my mind if ever I should have the same problem. I reckon that if the front wheels are securely chocked and the rear of the car is jacked up onto axle stands the engine could be started in gear. The synchro should be ok (clutchless / no load) to progress up through the gears to top, for the next stage. With the gearbox now in top (i.e. direct drive through the mainshaft and no load put on the intermediate gears or layshaft), if the clutch is then depressed and the brakes applied there should be enough force there to free the plate from the flywheel. Obviously stray animals and humans would need to be kept well clear of the wheels while all this is going on!

I would also consider trying this a few times, allowing the flywheel to go through some heating & cooling cycles, before going to the extreme of stripping down. Peter.

Comment

Run the engine till everything is nice and warm. This may do it. Otherwise if room set off in gear and jab the brakes on hard a few times.

Comment

Use the search function to find some answers.
        Many are pretty violent, or sound it, but a good shock usually does the job.

Comment

It's easy

Put the car up on axle stands so you can get underneath and then pop the clutch leaver cover out so that you can see the clutch and the flywheel. Now turn the engine over until you can see the friction plate. Take a chisel and a hammer and gently tap the chisel into the gap between the flywheel and the friction plate while your assistant is pressing on the clutch peddle and it should pop off. I've done this twice and it works fine and is by far the safest and easiest method I've found.
          Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Warm up the engine then switch off, engage 1st gear, press clutch and start car with foot on the brake. That usually works although you may find the car takes off, I've used this method once on a marlin, a couple of times in a midas and more times than I care to remember with an a35. I used to start it once a month over winter and had a stuck clutch almost every time. Just make sure you have space and nothing else in front of the car when you start it. you may need to stall the engine on the brakes if the trick doesn't work first time.

Comment

Once the clutch is free I suggest wedging a length timber against the seat to hold the pedal down when the car is parked up for any length of time.
              It was not unknown for owners of Marinas to find that the clutch had stuck when returning to their cars in airport car parks after a fortnight's holiday abroad and this precaution ensured the mobility of a fleet of Marina vans operated by a company I had dealings with in the early eighties.

Comment

I had the problem with JRR.
                I removed all the plugs.
                Lifted the back of the car so the wheels were off the ground.
                Got in and pressed the clutch fully down.
                Spun engine on the starter motor and stamped on the foot-brake.
                Sounds brutal but it worked!! The clutch plate is now free.

Comment

Originally posted by John_Mulvaney View Post
                  Once the clutch is free I suggest wedging a length timber against the seat to hold the pedal down when the car is parked up for any length of time.
                  It was not unknown for owners of Marinas to find that the clutch had stuck when returning to their cars in airport car parks after a fortnight's holiday abroad and this precaution ensured the mobility of a fleet of Marina vans operated by a company I had dealings with in the early eighties.
                  Reading another post on this forum recently about long term storage it suggested that storing a vehicles hydraulic system under pressure is not recommended.
                  I suppose you take your chances.

Comment

The method we use on the Mk1 that seemed to suffer from this was when putting the car away press the clutch fully and engage a gear to stop the friction plate, then switch off the engine before releasing the clutch gently so that it hasn't bitten . This seems to stop it sticking or may be we have been luck.
                    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions unfortunately none of them have worked so looks like it might have to be a strip down over the winter

Comment

Assuming that the clutch release hydraulics and lever are OK, there should be no need to strip things down, the longer it is there the worse it will get. If the rest of your transmission is in good condition, keep trying! It saves a lot of work.

Comment

An old racers tip for a slipping clutch was to spray Coke Cola into the clutch - can you see the clutch cover bolts ??? If so try undoing them a few turns this should reduce the pressure on the clutch plate and then try the starting method as previously suggested !!.. Worked on my 1939 Buick !!!

Comment

Happy New Year to all. Well the clutch problem is resolved engine and gearbox removed and stripped. The clutch plate had rusted to the flywheel but is now free. I have now added an access hole to the top of the bell housing so should this ever happen again it will be easy to release.

10407675_10205396941432505_8822394533842784832_n.jpg

While the engine was out it was a good time to replace all the seals and gaskets and give the old girl a lick of paint looks better for it. Just got to put her back together again.

10440203_10205396940472481_8725489944867287200_n.jpg

Comment

looks amazing. How did you make that hole?

Comment

Working...
                              X