Rad fan sucking not blowing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rad fan sucking not blowing.

Well I've put it off for long enough so today I started the job of fitting a new Kenlow fan .
    the one fitted is on the front of the rad as there is no room in the engine bay.however it sucks not blows.Air going the wrong way.
    I reversed the wiring for the summer but the air flow is not really efficient in reverse .
    so strip down day today.
    While its in pieces I've repositioned the air flow meter as it was touching the rad and will find a way to reposition the air filter and intake away from the hot air .
    Not much room to modify but will have a go.
    Attached Files

Re: Rad fan sucking not blowing.

New "Spal " fan fitted and working.slimmer and neater than the Kenlow .I have repositioned the air flow meter and fitted a softer air filter Ramair as its so close to the radiator.
    The fan works very well and the air flow is so much better. I hope to do a few more fettling jobs this week before putting the body work back on.
    Attached Files

Comment

In which direction does the fan spin?
      Conventionally curved blades rotate in the direction they point, so clockwise in your last picture. This is allegedly to reduce noise, rather than increase efficiency though it does have an impact if correctly designed.
      The pic looks as though the fan blades are angled in the opposite direction, to rotate anti clockwise?
      MOC member since 05/97
      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Steve, as usual you are right...but some curved fans are designed to work with the tip trailing, so this set up may be right

Comment

Spal have a page of technical documents, about 120 in all... Without a part number....

here or there
          MOC member since 05/97
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

The fan rotates clockwise and is very quiet in operation, with a good air flow.
            I spoke to Kenlowe re the fan fitted and found it was a reversible type but even with there digrams and instructions re turning the blades and reversing the polarity I was not happy with the air flow or noise.
            Very happy with the SPAL.
            THE AIR FILTER IS NOT IN IDEAL PLACE but very few options with the V6.

20150124_162654.jpg
            Last edited by Motormouse_67; 26-01-15, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Tip leading!
              MOC member since 05/97

Comment

With the side panels removed I was shocked to see how close the brake pipes were to the exhaust headers! !! Must have boiled the brake fluid .I have wrapped the pipes and will fit a heat shield ,just another one of those little extra jobs.20150124_162740.jpg20150124_162719.jpg

Comment

Looking at that fan and the blades it should go anticlockwise (tip trailing) if you want it to push air throught the radiador.

If you wan to pull air through raidiator blades should be reveresed an it ran clockwise (tip still trailing).

Its not about the tip or the curve to some degree, its the blade angle. The flatter the blade the less the air flow the more it is angled (up to a point) will increase air flow. The fan would normally rotate with the tip trailing as well (the curve is desiigned to have the velocity profile pass a long it. Look up some fan vleocity diagrams online.

Comment

I'm back home early tonight so a small oil leak to investigate on the oil pressure switch .I will check the direction of rotation of the fan again in view of the interest.
                    This fan is a push only and is not reversible so which ever way it goes is the designed direction and it works very well.

Comment

It's easy to tell which way the blades should turn and which way the air blows by looking at the blade section. If it has an airfoil shape then the flatter side will be on the pushing side of the airflow.
                      Simples!

Comment

Well I have to report that the fan rotates in the anticlockwise direction.!! so all you clever boffins can have a gold star.
                        I sorted out the oil leak on the pressure switch and pipe .Repositioned the o/side running board a little lower as the door was touching when opened fully.
                        Tidied up and thought now I deserve a pint ..wrong !! Another oil drip traced to the timing chain hydraulic tensioner on the right hand cylinder bank.
                        So another little job .Any one have any knowledge about tensioner removal before I cock up the timing chain tension,its a V6 BOA engine with single tensioner.
                        Thanks.20150127_175955.jpg
                        Last edited by Motormouse_67; 28-01-15, 04:32 PM.

Comment

You may find this helpful http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/timingchain29cos.htm
                          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Thanks Ben ,yes I found that and the Ford official workshop manual but neither give specific instructions on how to remove and replace using the torx drive to lock and reset.

Comment

Well I have to report that the fan rotates in the anticlockwise direction.!!

Tips trailing

Burton Power will let you know - and they have the parts like new plunger units .
                              Last edited by cameronfurnival; 28-01-15, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X