Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change front Ital suspension to Triumph Spitfire

Hi Everyone,
    I am new to Marlins having just bought a Roadster recently. I was wondering what would be involved in changing the front suspension from Ital to Triumph Spitfire? I am sure I will not be the first to think about this.
    I already have plenty of spare Spitfire parts (have 2 Spitfires at the moment as well).

Regards
    Graham

Re: Change front Ital suspension to Triumph Spitfire

Hi Graham - I too used to do a lot of spitties and of course, the value of their front suspension is legendary. HOwever, the process of converting from marina to spitfire, although not impossible, is incredibly long winded and difficult. What I would say, before even thinking about it, is drive the roadster - the marina/ital front suspension with torsion bars works extremely well in such a light car. If yours doesn't handle like a train on tracks there may be something amiss with the setup. It really is an excellent little car with marina setup.
    I'm sure someone will pop in soon and give you an alternative view (thats the value of this club - its members are really knowledgable - and not just about Marlins) and give you some more options to think about.

Comment

Lots of things to consider. Yes, the triumph front suspension has a good reputation, the Marina suffered from a lot of bad press at launch but the geometry was quickly sorted. Unfortunately the bad press continues. But many of the Early spits had notoriously bad rear suspension, probably the real reason for the Hybrid roadster.
      The big difference between a Marina and a Marlin is that the engine is much further back, behind rather than over the front axle line, the standard Marina steering rack is bolted to the bulkhead, in a Marlin its infront of the engine. There is an internal bush in the rack that is prone to wear.
      The handling of a Marlin can be best improved by fitting Poly tie rod bushes and some say fabricating rose jointed tie rods to allow for more consistent castor angle control. Even changing the lower arm to poly can be noticeable.
      Obvously the general condition of all the suspension and steering components is critical including the fixings for the mini top arm, where I found a great deal of play.
      A top tip is to slacken the bolts bolting the two halves of the lower arm when tweaking the suspension. This will allow the suspension to float to a nominal position.
      Its also worth looking at the lower steering UJ, the upper rubber coupling, and the lower and upper felt/plastic steering column bushes will help limit some vibrations etc.
      Finally at the front end, tyres and their pressures have a great impact. Sizes, and tyre wall stiffnes will vary, it's really down to trial and error to find the best combination for your driving style. Sometimes the handling of a car is compromised by the desired appearance.

But as Cameron says, everything is possible, but with both Chassis and Body mods needed it might be best to tolerate what you have and keep an eye out for a Hybrid roadster with a Triumph front end and a Marina back axle.

Comment

Steve,

do you have a link for the rose jointed tie bar set up please ??

Comment

The design of the front of the hybrid chassis is different to the Marina based car, Not sure where you are in the country but there is an almost abandoned unfinished hybrid in Ayrshire. PM me if you want more details.
          Attached Files
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by dbazdavies View Post
            Steve,

do you have a link for the rose jointed tie bar set up please ??
            Dec/Jan 2005 Pitstop

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
              Dec/Jan 2005 Pitstop
              If you went looking for this in 2005, you will find it in 2004

Here or there

PS: Thanks Ben for publishing one of my docs!

Comment

Well it just happens those drawings where done by me in the first place.
                Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                If you went looking for this in 2005, you will find it in 2004

Here or there

PS: Thanks Ben for publishing one of my docs!

Comment

Graham in case you don't notice the flag I have PM you.

Comment

Originally posted by b.caswell View Post
                    The design of the front of the hybrid chassis is different to the Marina based car, Not sure where you are in the country but there is an almost abandoned unfinished hybrid in Ayrshire. PM me if you want more details.
                    You should have signed it Ben. Would have given you credit.
                    Thanks anyway.
                    Have credited you on my copy.
                    Last edited by stevejgreen; 31-01-15, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X