Chrome boot rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome boot rack

I am looking to fit a chrome boot rack on my Cabrio - I can see some on the web and in pictures in photo gallery - but experience has shown that I should consult the many oracles that hide in the electrons of the MOC web site.

Any recommendations. I suspect this is a well trodden path.

Re: Chrome boot rack

Originally posted by Alan.c View Post
    I am looking to fit a chrome boot rack on my Cabrio - I can see some on the web and in pictures in photo gallery - but experience has shown that I should consult the many oracles that hide in the electrons of the MOC web site.

Any recommendations. I suspect this is a well trodden path.
    Polished stainless steel is the way to go?u
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Good point - Stainless it is (I always think of anything shiny as chrome)

Thanks

Comment

This is the one I've got on the back of Vikki:

Online shop and mail order for classic car, vintage, kit car race car and motorsport parts and accessories quality service trading for 40 years.

A 6 bar one, with self made extension pegs to allow it to clear the spare tyre.

Comment

Have a look at my photo album. The stainless rack I had built is mounted to the wheel nuts on the spare wheel and not mounted to the body. Works well.

Comment

Or as supplied by YKC
            MOC member since 05/97
            1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
            Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

One thing to consider is how it mounts - or de-mounts - if you have the misfortune of suffering a puncture.

Mine is the standard Marlin rack which just uses 4 bolts passing through the boot lid into the four legs. Nice and solid, but if ever I have a puncture it will add to the time it takes to remove the spare wheel.

If you have the patience, a quick release arrangement would be a good idea.

Mike

Comment

I'd echo that. That's why mine is held on with the arms and pins - it's very easy to take off, and there's no holes through the rear tub.
                Last edited by Mike; 02-03-15, 06:54 AM.

Comment

I made mine using 15mm stainless steel plumbing tube from B&Q £8 a length (3 required) and then manufactured some joints from stainless steel. Plus S/S screws.
                  total cost £30 plus time.
                  benefits - low cost and made to measure.IMG_2607.JPGlower joint.jpggeneral frame joint.jpg
                  Last edited by Michael Turpin; 02-03-15, 05:31 PM.
                  YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback - much appreciated

Alan

Comment

Michael, How much would you charge to make up a set of joints?
                      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Andy the joints were a labour of love and took a long time to produce as there are some 30 parts to be manufactured plus the crimping tool to attach the parts to the stainless tubes.
                        So unfortunately I have to say no to your request, although your trust in the finished product is appreciated.
                        YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8

Comment

Ah well you don't know unless you ask :-)
                          Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Originally posted by andyf View Post
                            Ah well you don't know unless you ask :-)
                            Andy

I use a local stainless steel workshop close by me for odd items we require in my day job, and then get the welders to do me "homer" jobs for the Marlin at the weekends. This is where the welding of the stainless headlamp bars comes from - (I get the triangles and tabs laser cut, and cut the polished tube to length, and then have the headlamp bars welded up in a jig I made to replicate the Marlin original).

If you are serious about wanting a stainless carrier, I can get one priced up. I can guarantee it will be a lot cheaper than the £200 Marlin charge for theirs. The final price will depend upon the complexity of course. As I alluded to earlier the Marlin design is as basic (but very neat) as they can be made. If you want hinges and clips it will add to the overall cost.

May be if there are several members interested we could get a price for a batch of 5+ which I'm sure will help with the price each. I will make them available at cost only to Marlin club members.

Anyone interested? - no committment required at this stage, just to let me guage potential numbers. I have no idea of the final cost but if its around £75-100 would this be of interest?

Reply here, or PM me if you prefer.
                            Last edited by Mike; 06-03-15, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Mike as the initiator of this thread I am clearly a taker for your proposed bulk buy. I know from your light bar adventure its not an instant process and my need may be in a few month time so I may have to drop out and go for the commercial option.

I was looking at the one on the following link - looks Ok at £118 but when you add extension pieces and other fittings to hold it on its heading towards the £160 mark.

Online shop and mail order for classic car, vintage, kit car race car and motorsport parts and accessories quality service trading for 40 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X