• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fuel Filler Advice

thats good thinking!

Comment

Spent most of the day fitting up the new filler arrangement followed by the obligatory blat to make sure that it doesn't leak. All looking good so far. The first photo shows the view from the back, I've still got to paint over where I filled in the hole in the side. I hope to be able to repaint the whole car next year so for now it will have to be a temporary repair.
      20150412_171850.jpg

The next shows how it's routed inside. I've reused the MX5 anti-slop valve as well, it's now mounted in the vertical pipe which is how it's supposed to be fitted in the MX5 so it may work better.
      20150412_171916.jpg

To finish it off I modified the tank cover to fit around the new pipe work. The hood and frame still fits ok and there's still room for a soft bag behind the seats. Ignore the pink filler, I'll blow that in with some blue paint when I've got the tub off for painting next year.
      20150412_183124.jpg

I'm hoping that the new position will also make it easier to fill, it was a real PITA to fill since I added the anti-slop valve.
      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

That's looking good, a parts list would be handy and may prompt me to do the same!
        - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
        - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
        - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
        - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
        - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
          That's looking good, a parts list would be handy and may prompt me to do the same!
          Thanks, I'll look out the list of parts and post it when I get time later in the week.

Comment

Should really have an earthing lead between the top fitting and the tank to prevent static build up when filling.
            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by b.caswell View Post
              Should really have an earthing lead between the top fitting and the tank to prevent static build up when filling.
              That's interesting, I'll take a look but I haven't seen provision for an earth on the production cars.

Comment

I can find nothing in the IVA manual that says a fuel filler should be earthed, but it does mention the fuel tank having an earth path as a requirement.
                Can't be a bad thing to fit one though. Not sure whether you could generate a significant static charge on a metal filler cap, mounted in fiberglass, insulated, bodywork.
                MOC member since 05/97
                1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

With our damp climate static electricity is rarely a problem but in dryer climates, hot or cold, it can be. Google for “static electricity fuel”. I would think it is wise to make an electrical connection. Most production cars are connected through the steel body. I also have a vague memory that one production car had galvanic corrosion causing problems because of the different metals used. I can’t decide if it might be good, or bad, for that. Paul

Comment

In '95 Astras were recalled for static problems - the flow of fuel could build up a static charge and the resultant spark was a bit dangerous! They simply added a metal ring tag to a bit of wire and joined the other end to the body.

Comment

Interesting reading here or there
                      MOC member since 05/97
                      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Yes it's interesting, perhaps we should conduct a pole to see who has their filler earthed?

Comment

Having said it is a good idea I am embarrassed to say mine is not earthed.
                          It seems that the problem is caused when a statically charged person touching the filling nozzle discharges through the cars filler neck causing a spark. Not a big problem in this country but more common in hot arid American states.
                          It is hard to get any facts out of the internet but I have found in 2001 BMW modified Minis to earth their filler necks.
                          Paul

Comment

Working...
                          X