Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your prefered paint for chassis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your prefered paint for chassis?

Hello all

I must now order high quality, anti-rust and impact resistant black paint for the skeletton of the Roadster.

Is the "POR 15" product line as good as they claim? Has anyone some experience with it ?

Regards,
    Christophe.

Re: What is your prefered paint for chassis?

A number of the guys on the skcc forum swear by it. Personally I've always used dulux weather shield over a good red oxide primer.
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

i've used Hammerite Underbody Seal which seems to be alright ...

Comment

Hi Christophe,
        I have used POR 15 paint and the tank sealer I found them both very good. The paint is not UV stable which is fine for underside but you need a coat of normal paint over the top if it is in the light. It cures more like an resin when exposed to air and is solid right through after a day.
        One word of warning don't get it one your skin, the only thing that takes it off is time. It is like getting super glue off.
        Regards
        Graham

Comment

The chassis on my Roadster used in all weather over the past 41/2 years of my ownership is good without hardly any rust. Talking to Ernie Warrender, he used to work for Marlin's in the 80's cutting out and shaping the aluminium bonnets, Ernie said Paul Moorhouse bought a job lot of grey micaceous paint from BT. [BT used this paint on the metal in their manholes.] The paint led me to think my chassis was galvanised, but Ernie's answer makes sense. Shortly after I received this information, there was a programme on TV about mining micaceous iron oxide. My chassis was also protected by Derek Giles using some paint he acquired from his work with the Gas Board, type of paint unknown. Several people have said Hammerite is too hard and chips easily, and the best paint is ordinary black gloss.David.

Comment

I bet the trials or Land Rover communities would have sorted this one out
            - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
            - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
            - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
            - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
            - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
              I bet the trials or Land Rover communities would have sorted this one out
              I think they have. It's called mud! Available in a forest near you. Peter.

Comment

I use Wilkinsons satin black household paint on new Land Rover chassis.

Comment

I have used POR15 on motorbike frames - its brilliant and tough - much harder than hammerite. You can get grey undercoat and black top coat (you could just use just the top coat it is so tough). Its a pain to use once you open tin you have to use it all as the lid will only come off with a can opener (they sell it in very small tins as an option for that reason). You have to buy special thinners if you spray and clean gun throw brushes away. As earlier post said don't get on you its a week to wear off.

Comment

Rust Bullet is basically the same as POR15 - but cheaper
                    Rust Bullet provides the finest rust preventative products and concrete paint, which is UV-resistant. Visit our website to learn more.

Comment

I have used K-rust, followed by Zinc 182 then finished with Hammerite smooth on my chassis. I have to say that a friend of mine used POR15 on the wishbones of his Lamborghini Diablo kitcar and he applied it with a sponge. The result was beautiful and looked powder coated!

Comment

Working...
                      X