Date of manufacture...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Date of manufacture...

Had a quick look over the forums and didn't see anything obvious about this, apart from the Date of Manufacture being the date of SVA or IVA.

My question is more generic, let's say I'm filling out an application to run in an event. Do I put the Date of Manufacture down as the date the kit was built/sold or the date the vehicle was first registered, which is after all the date on the V5? With my car the kit was built in 1983, but the car first registered in 1987, some 4 years elapsed.

I ask because I often see (in my role at Kop Hill Climb) evidence supporting a vehicles manufacture date as being earlier than the vehicles registration date and the former is taken as the date for the purposes of entry to an event where there is an age requirement.

thanks,

David.
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Re: Date of manufacture...

Good question, I suppose some cars may be constructed purely for motorsport and never registered and some may be built for same and then registered at a later date.
    I wondered this myself as my Marlin was purchased in 1984, was not registered until 2012 and was issued an age related 1970 number by the DVLA.
    I was thinking of putting a silver and black plate on her but was unsure of the rules as to this. A can of worms?

Derek
    Stumbling around in the dark
    Marina based SWB roadster
    Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Comment

The Black and Silver plates depends on the date of manufacture not the date of registration - or so I am reliably informed

Comment

That was kinda my take on things, basing my dodgy opinion on the fact that it was the DVLA that issued the age related plate. Good work by the previous owner I say!

Comment

The age related plate would have been allocated on a points basis of the donor parts used from one car. Need at least eight points
          Chassis or sub frames...........5 points
          Suspension..........................2 "
          Axles..................................2 "
          Transmission.......................2 "
          Steering assembly................2 "
          Engine................................1 "

However even under the IVA system if the kit uses two or more major components from one donor then the car should be issued an age related plate. It will only qualify to keep the donor number if it uses the original bodyshell or chassis plus two major components and avoid the IVA.
          Last edited by b_caswell; 24-04-15, 09:53 AM.
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by b.caswell View Post
            The age related plate would have been allocated on a points basis of the donor parts used from one car. Need at least eight points
            Chassis or sub frames...........5 points
            Suspension..........................2 "
            Axles..................................2 "
            Transmission.......................2 "
            Steering assembly................2 "
            Engine................................1 "

However even under the IVA system if the kit uses two or more major components from one donor then the car should be issued an age related plate. It will only qualify to keep the donor number if it uses the original bodyshell or chassis plus two major components and avoid the IVA.

I have always wondered how the car avoided the IVA as it was not registered and MOT'd till 2012. Did it squeeze through as rebuiding a classic car I wonder or did the date of manufacture of the kit allow it to bypass IVA?

I can see from above how it was (just) allocated an age related plate.

Comment

Beware of black and silver, I was stopped by the police and cautioned

Car was registered in 1995
              I was awarded an age related plate on the points system C883 CWY and used B&S plates but it cost me !
              YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8

Comment

Re Black Silver Plates - cut off date is 1973 - so anything including L at the end - not the beggining

C883CWY is 1986 reg so no wonder you were pulled if you had black plates on !!!

Comment

A 1963
                  b 1964
                  c 1965
                  d 1966
                  e 1967
                  f 1967
                  g 1968
                  h 1969
                  j 1970
                  k 1971
                  l 1972

Comment

INF104_160914.pdf

All vehicles manufactured after 1 January 1973 must display number plates of reflex-reflecting material, white at the front and yellow at the rear, with black characters. This type of reflecting plate was permitted as an option from 1968: many vehicles first registered before 1973 may therefore carry the white/yellow reflective plates and, where they were first registered during or after 1968, they may have carried such plates since new.

Capture1.JPG

Last edited by cameronfurnival; 24-04-15, 08:48 PM.

Comment

All a good read but we appear to have gone off topic!
                      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Think that was what I said !!!!

Comment

Interesting, but what about Q plates. I have driven my berli daily for the past four years on a Q plate black & white ,365 days a year, averaging 5000 miles annually to work+ various rallies, holidays etc, going through MOT's without questioning it ( is it because of the Q. ? Would be interested to know for sure.

Comment

Alan no its because you have been lucky Its the date of manufacture of the vehicle that counts pre Jan 73 OK after that your supposed to have reflective plates...
                            What's road legal for number plates in the UK? Avoid being stopped by the police. Or worse, being fined. Check this guide before you buy.
                            Last edited by b_caswell; 25-04-15, 11:40 AM.

Comment

To answer Davids original question,

The date any Marlin kit was produced would be the absolute earliest date of manufacture for a finished Marlin and most would be at least a year later. The first Marlin roadster kit produced was July 1979 so still too late for the Kopp hill cut off. Even with my enthusiasm for the cars I don't think I could make a case to the entrants committee for it being of signicant interest, but you could always try.

Comment

Working...
                              X