steering column (ford sierra), improving fixing and support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering column (ford sierra), improving fixing and support

my sportster is equipped with a ford (sierra?) steering column.

its fixed underneath the dash, similar the BMW donor, with some brackets towards the chassis.

the bulkhead contains a rubber insert with a plastic bush.

than it goes through the enginebay without any extra support until it merges the steering rack.

this arrangement does not feel really stiff and well supported.

has anybody made an improvement at the bulkhead-side, fitting a bearing, balljoint etc instead this rubber-supported bush?
    Last edited by Sportster-Green; 24-04-15, 08:27 PM.

Re: steering column (ford sierra), improving fixing and support

yup!
    See my Romero build diary

[IMG]www.marlinownersclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3217&d=1365241633[/IMG]

this was an idea I stole from the Robin Hood guys, its basically a bearing in a captive casing (from Bearing boys).
    Last edited by cameronfurnival; 24-04-15, 08:45 PM.

Comment

I copied the same idea on my Berli. I went to a local bearing supplier and got a bearing to fit the plastic bush but here are some on Ebay http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Bolton-Bear...4.l1581&_pgn=2

Comment

thanx for the reply guys...yeah thats the idea i also thought.....

i´ve ordered now :

from a local suplier...costs me 8,-euro inkl. shipping....i will retain the ford plastic bush with the triangular hole...this bush has an outer diameter of 25mm...so will be a tight fit inside the bearing...the bush will be hold by the scrub screws in the bearing...so should result in a precise guided column....hopefully...fingers crossed!!

Comment

job done...but damn...its raining since yesterday afternoon...so no test drive possible.....

Comment

Working...
          X