No announcement yet.

Berlinetta restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Berlinetta doors cracking and splitting - any fixes?

Rivnut sort of things ? Wood nuts ?

Happy Hols and stripping
    XXX DC
    Last edited by dcunn; 21-12-16, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
      Cheers Adrian - I had forgotten about that!
      See

Comment

Adrian
        Looks like a useful product to have around - I've ordered a small one to try it out.
        Thanks for the tip

Happy Christmas to one and all

Mike

Comment

They are called "Internuts" or google Interrscrews they use them in the marine industry

Our company supplies a wide range of stainless steel & non stainless interscrews including socket nuts, connector bolts, internal threaded screws & more.

see Roadster tech tips part 1 Pages 13-14.
          Last edited by b_caswell; 21-12-16, 05:01 PM.
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Ben, you never cease to amaze me with the stuff you know! Thanks ever so much and have a great Christmas!

Comment

Just remember reading the original article written by Peter Hare
              Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

If you look on eBay at rivnuts you'll find them on there. I have used these on my berli for mounting my seat belt anchoring some five years ago and there are still as strong as ever. Also there is a utube video to show a cheap method on how to fit them.
                Cheers and merry Christmas.
                Alan.

Comment

THanks ALan, notrivnuts they are totally closed at the top - Ben was right they are interscrews - look fairly pricey so I will salvage as many as possible

Comment

Its about time I updated this thread. I'm still stripping the old paint off...using whatever method I can for each panel. Its very time consuming - and that's something I have been in short supply of. However, I just have one door left to strip, the rear tub and the scuttle panel (which you can see I have started in one of the pics below.
                    I had a rare day off and so decided to do something more interesting than paint stripping so I replaced the cam belt - easy enough on the pinto, a 30 minute job. The old cambelt looked completely ok but I didn't know when it had been last replaced so did it for peace of mind.
                    I also looked at the electric fan on the front of the rad, whilst there has been no indication of overheating again I didn't want to find myself in that position so I upgraded it - I got a new 12" curved blade fan from Demon Tweeks for a very paltry sum.
                    So here's some pictures.

oldFan.jpg
                    new fan
                    newFan.jpg
                    Here you can see how the stripping is going. Its rarely the case you would need to strip right back but in this case there were signs of poor adhesion so I thought it best. Please note that isn't a bottle of paintstripper on there!
                    bulkhead.jpg

I cleaned up the bulkhead and heater unit. The washer bottle was going in the bin till I saw they cost £60 on ebay! So a quick run through the dishwasher (along with the expansion tank) and then created a new bracket (it was originally glued onto the ally bulkhead) with a period retainer band (hoover belt) some new tubing and it looks a lot tidier.

PS in the first pic you can see a brake pipe on the cross member with a neat curl in it. Is that a design feature?
                    Last edited by Cameron F; 12-06-17, 07:53 AM.

Comment

I think the loop in the brake pipe is to allow for expansion/contraction between the two end termination.
                      I noticed your expansion tank can you remember what it came from, I have the identical one and can't remember what it came off, 20+ years ago you could crawl all over a scrap yard taking bits from a variety of old cars and not really caring what it came from. As a matter of interest where do the pipes go to ? Mine - the lower one goes to the top of the radiator and the top is used to pressure fill the system as there isn't a radiator cap on the radiator.
                      The restoration seems to be coming on well

IMG_2614.JPG
                      YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8

Comment

Resto looking brill! I reckon the pigtail in the brake line is to "loose" about 9" of brake line allowing a much longer than needed one to be used off the shelf without the need to cut and flare. Have done it myself! Peter.

Comment

Checking back on my build the loop also allows the disconnection of the union leaving some "give" in the pipe for maintenance etc
                          YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8

Comment

I thought as much Peter - not sure whether I will leave it alone or shorten it.
                            Michael, I have just popped out and taken a quick piccie of the plumbing arrangements so you can see how mine fits together, as for the expansion bottle I have no idea - it looks Fordish but has no FoMoCo marking. I will have an investigate.

DSC_01432.jpg

Comment

Such a lovely day...so I got one of the kids outside with the promise of a few shillings if they wanted to help get the old paint off the rear tub. I had repaired and rehung the OS door so now have a pair of correctly swinging and shutting doors; one I stripped with the strypit discs but someone wanted extra pocket money - so I poured a nice cold drink and sat under the fan whilst my slave got on with the job...

DSC_0160.JPG

Once the 2K silver is off (it comes off in strips doing it with a hot air stripper) the celly will sand back nicely. Enjoy the sunshine!

Comment

starting on the rear light pods now. All the paint is off and the mammoth task of levelling everything up is beginning. Still its a nice day... here's the original and new lights for comparison.

DSC_0090.JPG

DSC_0089.JPG

Comment

Working...
                                X