No announcement yet.

Berlinetta restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Berlinetta doors cracking and splitting - any fixes?

I would have liked to have repainted my roadster in a new colour but the original owner did a good job of painting all the panels and chassis inside and out. As I am not stripping the body off I have decided to keep it. Going with a biscuit colour for the interior and hood etc for a change. Bit brighter than black.
    I will have the exterior repainted in the original blue though as it is a bit tired and damaged.
    Stumbling around in the dark
    Marina based SWB roadster
    Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Comment

Originally posted by scott h View Post
      That is a big improvement. I intend to paint mine solid blue, slightly darker than the wings shown here and probably metalic.

There are lots of Blue Berlinettas in the Gallery section - some of them are fabulous: my personal favourites are:

A touch of real class

Berlinettas 918.jpg

A beautiful example

Berlinettas 798.jpg

Comment

Hi Mike, I have spotted those two Berlis in the gallery, the first example is exactly what I'm aiming for. In my Berli's first life it was red so I thought a complete change was in order.

Comment

Thanks Mike and yes Scott - I agree there are too many red cars about (saying that almost every car I have ever done I have repainted Red!!!). Wasn't that last car Peter Filby's? Whatever happened to him? Or the car?

Comment

God news everybody! I now have a perfect working door! The hinge I made worked a treat, the ally strengthening plate seems to be doing its job too. One thing I noticed was that when the top hinge had come away the bottom one sank into the door. Pressing a piece of channel or angle into the frame is definitely the way to go as it pushes out any deformity and gives a nice strong door. I brazed the strengthener in place but I think it would be fine with resin too - maybe easier. I have given the frame a quick skim of p38 to finish it off. Now I notice the door has a slight curve in it - dont think it was designed that way so some gentle persuasion will be next to get it flat again. Might pop some strength into the lower frame too, its just a long slot - though not much room. Chuffed? Im chuffed to bits.

The rest of the car is coming apart slowly, its really well screwed together with no shortcuts which is nice as most of my work will be just fettling. I am thinking about moving the battery to the boot - might be a good excuse to buy a lift of some sort?

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
              God news everybody! I now have a perfect working door! The hinge I made worked a treat, the ally strengthening plate seems to be doing its job too. One thing I noticed was that when the top hinge had come away the bottom one sank into the door. Pressing a piece of channel or angle into the frame is definitely the way to go as it pushes out any deformity and gives a nice strong door. I brazed the strengthener in place but I think it would be fine with resin too - maybe easier. I have given the frame a quick skim of p38 to finish it off. Now I notice the door has a slight curve in it - dont think it was designed that way so some gentle persuasion will be next to get it flat again. Might pop some strength into the lower frame too, its just a long slot - though not much room. Chuffed? Im chuffed to bits.

The rest of the car is coming apart slowly, its really well screwed together with no shortcuts which is nice as most of my work will be just fettling. I am thinking about moving the battery to the boot - might be a good excuse to buy a lift of some sort?
              Just a thought, I have fitted a bike battery and is a quarter of the size with just as much turning power and fit nicely on the bulkhead without resorting to wiring them in the back.

Adrian

Comment

God news everybody!
                Did you go up the mountain to see him?

Mike

Comment

hardyhar

Adrian thats a really good idea - what specification is your bike battery?

Comment

Hi

Its a powervamp racing 25 with cranking amps at 680. Can even be used upside down. Weighs in at 7kg.

Adrian
                    Last edited by listerjp2; 27-01-16, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
                      Hi

It a powervamp racing 25 with cranuking amps at 680. Can even be used upside down. Weighs in at 7kg.

Adrian
                      Measures 18cm x 8cm x 16cm
                      20160127_192122.jpg

Comment

Cheers

Comment

Cheers
                          Just a note - you can get more powerful ones exactly the same size.

Suggest giving them a bell and have a chat, it really depends on the size of your engine.

Comment

God news everybody! I now have a perfect working door! The hinge I made worked a treat, the ally strengthening plate seems to be doing its job too. One thing I noticed was that when the top hinge had come away the bottom one sank into the door. Pressing a piece of channel or angle into the frame is definitely the way to go as it pushes out any deformity and gives a nice strong door. I brazed the strengthener in place but I think it would be fine with resin too - maybe easier. I have given the frame a quick skim of p38 to finish it off. Now I notice the door has a slight curve in it - dont think it was designed that way so some gentle persuasion will be next to get it flat again. Might pop some strength into the lower frame too, its just a long slot - though not much room.
                            many thanks to those of you who contacted me by email to say the door slot should have had a strengthener or two in it already and especial thanks to Dave who sent me the relevant page from the build manual.
                            I have made up two pieces and screwed them in as per the diagram and guess what? Now the window goes up and down smoothly too - one less job to do on this door! I am now stripping paint back for a skim of filler to get it a straight as possible. Now how do those window seals come out and is it possible to get new ones? Are they cortina? If anyone has a build manual they want to lend me ???

Berlinetta Door.jpg

Comment

I can scan em and forward if you want

Comment

many thanks - and also for hte emails - i now have a digital copy of the manual

Comment

Working...
                                X