Roadster suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadster suspension

My Marina based roadster's steering seems loose when you go over bumps. I have put poly bushes on the tie rods. I cant see or feel anything that may be loose and has just sailed though its Mot. Any ideas? There is no banging or rattling at all just a loose feeling through the steering wheel.
    Thanks.
    Steve Lilley

Re: Roadster suspension

By loose do you mean the steering is vague? If so then it's probably geometry, have you checked alignment etc?
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Is this something new, or has it always been like it?

Comment

Hi Dave, It feels like the wheel bearings are shot or loose track rod ends. It has a new steering rack and new track rod ends fitted last year. I will check the geometry though, it's a thought.
        Thanks for your reply
        Steve Lilley

Comment

Hi Steve, Its always been there, To try to cure it I replaced the steering rack and fitted new track rod ends but its just the same.
          Thanks for your reply
          Steve Lilley

Comment

Which torsion bars do you have fitted? Two variants 19mm and 20.6mm, the larger ones were HD and will be too stiff.
            Have you changed tyres or pressures?

Comment

wheel bearings +1

Comment

Might be stating the obvious, but have you checked tyre pressures? Dropped mine to 18 psi all round and now handles brilliantly. It used to step out alarmingly when going over bumps on bends before.
                Gareth.

Comment

Definitely worth a try Gareth. They are 26 psi at the moment.
                  Thanks
                  Steve

Comment

Try 22 psi then go down bit by bit, driving over the same bit of road until you're happy. The car is so light, I would say 26 is far too high...
                    Good luck!

Comment

Hi Steve, I seem to have the 20.6mm torsion bar. I will try all the other suggestions first, if all fails I will look out for a 19mm one. (Are they easy to get hold of ?)
                      Never entered my head that one. Great advice, thanks.
                      Steve Lilley

Comment

Try tyre pressures first 26psi would be considered high, cars have run on 18psi but it depends on tyre profile and sidewall stiffness. The springiness of the tyre has a great effect on handling.
                        19mm torsion bars are the most common so should be readily available. Some say that the bars become handed with use, perhaps noticeable on a new Marina but on an old Marlin, take what you can get.

Comment

Working...
                        X