Steering Rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Rack

Well, I have just found the cause of my steering problem. The steering rack fitted only 3 years ago and covered 1500 miles has a loose LH arm. Can I just replace the arm or will I have to replace the whole thing which is a pain to say the least. Also, where would I be able to get the LH arm?
    Thanks
    Steve Lilley

Re: Steering Rack

It is possible to rebuild a Marina steering rack, the bush on the LHS has a habit of wearing out. Here or there
    Have a look at marinacoupe.co.uk where the rebuild process is described.
    Whether or not Chris Weedon has spare bushes is a matter of luck, failing that, get a few machined specially, or fit a new rack.
    Last edited by stevejgreen; 25-05-15, 05:14 PM. Reason: Link confirmed
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Thanks Steve, Chris, if you read this, Do you have any bushes?
      Many thanks
      Steve Lilley

Comment

Chris Weedon, a good friend of mine, will not be reading this. He last used this forum in Jan 2013. Contact him via his personal website or via the fastmarina forum.

The article he wrote is reproduced here or there

Talking to Chris and other members of the Morris Marina community, several members have reported that some reconditioned racks purchased through eBay have failed.
        At the time of writing, May 2015, Chris has limited stock of the bushes at £22 inc postage.
        Last edited by stevejgreen; 26-05-15, 10:17 AM.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Is it the bush in the rack or the inner ball joint between the rack and the tie rod which can be re-shimned.
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by b.caswell View Post
            Is it the bush in the rack or the inner ball joint between the rack and the tie rod which can be re-shimned.
            Shims? On a Marina Rack, except on the Pinion housing itself.

CCI27052015_00000.jpg

Here or there
            and
            Here or there

Information on Triumph Herald rack re-building

Here or there
            Here or there
            Here or there
            Here or there
            Here or there
            Last edited by stevejgreen; 06-06-15, 10:02 AM. Reason: Triumph info added
            MOC member since 05/97

Comment

AH I was thinking Triumph method but by the look of that drawing it may be a fiddle you could possibly adjust up the joint if thats where the play is.

Comment

This is what the bush looks like. Maybe someone out there could make one or two?
                Steering rack bush 41044.jpg
                MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Still think we are talking about two different problems if its the tie rod (36 in diag) thats flopping about it can be adjusted.

If its the rack bush then:-
                  Super flex list a bush similar to above only in blue, for the Mk1 Mini that looks the same they say it fits .875" rack shaft Part number SF 431-1689 could be worth the £7 to find out.

Comment

Still think we are talking about two different problems if its the tie rod (36 in diag) thats flopping about it can be adjusted.

If its the rack bush then:-
                    Super flex list a bush similar to above only in blue, for the Mk1 Mini that looks the same they say it fits .875" rack shaft Part number SF 431-1689 could be worth the £7 to find out.
                    The documented problem, not just by me, is evidence enough. The solution to the problem provided by an ex MOC member and leading light of the Marina Owners Club, is sufficient evidence for me, not to mention my personal experience.

I am resisting the word fatuous, but unless there is sufficient evidence to the contrary, the documented solution stands whether it's £7 or some other amount. You could ignore the evidence at your own risk. Personally I clearly think otherwise. That is unless you can match the Marina part to the Mini part, but it will cost you £29 and a lot of time to find out that you were wrong.
                    Last edited by stevejgreen; 02-06-15, 07:03 PM.
                    MOC member since 05/97

Comment

RE- read the first post Stephen Lilley says "The steering rack fitted only 3 years ago and covered 1500 miles has a loose LH arm"

Sorry to Stephen just trying to help a fellow Marlin owner albeit a Marina based. I'll stick to being the Triumph Tech advisor from now on!

Comment

RE- read the first post Stephen Lilley says "The steering rack fitted only 3 years ago and covered 1500 miles has a loose LH arm" !
                        I did and re-read Chris Weedon's solution here or there where he introduces the problem and repair as "If there is a knocking noise from the left hand side of your front suspension". He had started off by replacing a faulty rack for a reconditioned one from eBay, but ended up refurbishing the rack himself when it failed soon after.

It sounds all too familiar.
                        Last edited by stevejgreen; 03-06-15, 09:09 AM.
                        MOC member since 05/97

Comment

I have had the same problem more than more than once on different cars. I have replaced the bush with the nolathane 41044. I got the first on from the Marina owners club and the second from Australia via a friend who was coming over. To save £7 (plus VAT) 44014 has OD 30mm ID 25mm L 24mm, The Nolathane mini bush is OD 31mm ID 22.6mm and L 42mm so I think it might be a tight fit.

Comment

I know that Chris did a lot of research on this, he was reluctant to convert to a sintered/oilite bush similar to those used on a Triumph rack, on the grounds of vibration and noise. With accurate dimensions, maybe someone in the UK can track one down as a possible alternative.
                            If you have a friend in Aus then obviously it can be done cheaper, but only a few of us have such contacts, and supply is limited.
                            Without a high enough demand, it's doubtful that the likes of Superflex will produce a UK version, however they now list rack mount bushes for both Mk1 and Mk2 Marinas, so you never know.

Rather than eBay a reconditioned rack, try doing it yourself.
                            MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Boy am I glad I read this post.
                              Just got "Brumm" back in my garage to continue with the mutitude of jobs outstanding. I thought I better check the steering arms and you guessed it the LHS is unbelievably worn.

This car was MOT'd when I bought it and has not covered a single mile since, say no more
                              Luckily I was given a new rack with the car "just in case"

Before I start pulling bits off can anyone give me a few pointers as to the best way to remove the rack. Got plenty of room in there as the engine is out at present.

PS I also found an M6 bolt in the M8 hole connecting the column to rack. I guess this saved th PO having to line up the groove on the rack to the hole in the UJ!

Thanks

Derek
                              Stumbling around in the dark
                              Marina based SWB roadster
                              Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Comment

Working...
                              X