another rear wing??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another rear wing??

does anybody have an idea why the pictured wings have this squaric area on the bottom?

o got them from malrin as replacment for the wrongly delivered narrow wings...but i hardly understand how i can use them with this defects, as you will clearly see them after painting.

sportster wings 001.jpg

Re: another rear wing??

Originally posted by Sportster-Green View Post
    does anybody have an idea why the pictured wings have this squaric area on the bottom?

o got them from malrin as replacment for the wrongly delivered narrow wings...but i hardly understand how i can use them with this defects, as you will clearly see them after painting.

[ATTACH]6489[/ATTACH]
    Could these wings have been made by Marlin for the later BMW based Sportster which have that corner removed to fit around the chassis arrangement?

If they are an infill of the BMW wings to fit the original Ford Sportster they are a pretty poor attempt.... but it is Marlin you are dealing with!!
    15382301375_8e7b061775_z.jpg

Comment

its exactly like that...marlins reply was: "bmw based cars need this sqaure area being cut out. ford based ones you need to rub down that area to form the missing lip"

how should i rub them down when the driver wing in this area is aleady lower than the lip??

"your paintshop will know what to do"

very poor excuse, imo

Comment

Originally posted by Sportster-Green View Post
        its exactly like that...marlins reply was: "bmw based cars need this sqaure area being cut out. ford based ones you need to rub down that area to form the missing lip"

how should i rub them down when the driver wing in this area is aleady lower than the lip??

"your paintshop will know what to do"

very poor excuse, imo
        All part of the fun, but that does seem a bit poor.
        - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
        - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
        - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
        - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
        - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Vikki's wings where the same when I got them.

A more accurate description is that *some* BMW based cars and all Ford based cars require it cutting out to fit. e30 based cars do not. It's all down to the location of the rear suspension arms. Later Beemer based cars (e36 etc) and - I believe - ford based cars have the outermost mounting of the suspension arm outside the line of the chassis member, whereas earlier e30 cars have them inboard.

I rubbed mine down flush with the top surface of the wing, and then told the body shop to build it up at the bottom to continue the lower lip across it. They did a good job, and you'd never know it hadn't always been like that.

Comment

its hard to find body / spray shops over here dealing with fibreglass, also most of them are very picky. i´m sure if i will bring this to my local shop he will refuse doing the job or will upcharge a lot. the standard spray-job of my last rear wings (the narrow ones which didnt fit) cost me 250,-

how much you paid extra in your body shop for this work?

Comment

No idea - I just told them what I wanted, what colour paint I wanted and they quoted a figure for the whole lot. They didn't break it down.

I can't imagine it'd cost too much extra.

Comment

long time ago....now some news.

i had time fo bring the car to a local spray-shop.

old wings removed, the new ones prepared for fitment...and here we go....they are again not the same dimensions as the origimal ones.

this time the radius, compared to the wheel is slightly different.

if i fit them using the original fixing holes in the body, they are out of centre compared to the wheels
                if the wings are centered to the wheel and also symetric to each other from rear view, the "new" wings do not cover the origiinal fixing holes in the body any more.
                means those (now) visible holes need to be filled and the complete rear of the car needs to be resprayed, too.
                for respraying the rear, the fixings of the hood need to be removed, the filler necks for the tank removed, bumpers and fog-lights unscrewed etc...

means: a stupid " i quickly change my rear wings to get rid of those hamburger-style lights which cannot be seen by other motorists" job becomes now an endless money-pit, incl. a stressed owner
                Last edited by Sportster-Green; 19-05-17, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X