Marina Roadster 1.8TC Q67 GJA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marina Roadster 1.8TC Q67 GJA

Looking Good. Last year at the Gulisfield weekend I had the opposite . My vacuum pipe broke so I repaired it with tape. It was obvious that it was full of cracks , so I taped it all up . First time I touched the brakes I nearly went through the windscreen. It cured the lean running though.

Comment

Hi DC, on my rebuild diary I had replies about the bulkhead reinforcing bracket and noticed that you haven't got it fitted, is that for a later date or have you got a better option for it?

Comment

The car didn't have one !

I've part replaced the bulkhead as it was well cracked in the normal place and haven't decided on the best solution.

May just end up making one up to the Marlin pattern

No rush, it'll be a while before the bonnet sides go on !

Currently (pun intended) been playing with electrics.
        After several hours of head scratching, untaping loom, etc etc I've found out why my rear fog lamp switch also turned on the reversing light,
        and the reversing light switch also did the same !
        Look at post 65, the (ahem) "quality" plastic rear lights have metal behind the reflectors which means that when bolted to the metal number
        plate thingy they are electrically connected despite each having their own live and earth wires. Good game, good game !
        They work fine when just hanging on the wires - nylon bolts should arrive in the post tomorrow

Some more pics taken this evening. I don't profess to being an uphosterer, but for now these will do to sit on - I only had the seat shells with their
        proper squabs.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by dcunn; 20-04-17, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Love it when car parts come in doors. I got my seats and windscreen up stairs, had calipers on the radiator when I had cleaned them up. Don't think I will get away with working on the gearbox indoors though.

Comment

Not just 'er indoors but doors indoors as well, somewhere safe whilst the paint hardens

Might be pushing my luck with these though, they still need a lacquer coat but I reckon they're a bit too big

The strengthening bracket for the bulkhead
            Attached Files
            Last edited by dcunn; 22-04-17, 05:56 PM.

Comment

............................dear ebay

Having had a good day with the clutch bled and the car driven (and stopping!) in first and reverse under it's own power for the first time in many years and
              a good surprise in that the clutch was not seized on, I decided to try and tidy the routing of the speedo cable - wrong, it came apart even though I was being
              quite gentle with it (honest your honour)

So here we go again, at least one more step backwards. The dash has had to be moved to get to the back of the speedo, and regrettably I don't have the facility
              to recrimp the cable, but at least a new one is only £11.29 delivered
              Attached Files
              Last edited by dcunn; 03-05-17, 10:46 AM.

Comment

DC, Looking good, seems the way a rebuild goes two steps forward and one back. I put my pedal box in and managed to break the brake light switch, good old eBay so will add that to my list of later parts as it's not important at the moment.
                One question is the angle iron you have for mounting your dash, is that an added extra from the factory or a one off home addition.
                Looks a good way to mount the dash securely so if you have any previous photos showing it clearly I may be able to use the same idea.
                Cheers, Martin.

Comment

Try this Martin, two "work in progress" pictures.

Initially I thought that it might be a little difficult to remove a one piece dash for any maintenance, and using two pieces would give that facility.

The ally angle is braced by another piece of angle fore and aft attached to the bulkhead. I have two small ally plates glassed in to the underside of the scuttle 3 inches
                  either side of centre and the top of the dashboard is self tapped onto them. There are three bolts along the bottom of the dash which attach it to the angle

The other piece of dash is made to fit around the steering wheel cover and is also attached at one end to the ally angle, the other end is attached to the scuttle support
                  and it is strong enough for the choke control to operate from there

PS from my experience..................get the brake light switch done whilst it is still easily accessible !
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by dcunn; 03-05-17, 06:22 PM.

Comment

It was nice out, so I got it out !

Thanks to Dave Peet for the wheels and centres

Thanks to Redline via ebay, the speedo cable arrived 36 hours after ordering and it's in and the dash back in place.

Meantime the rear lights are done
                    Attached Files

Comment

That's really coming together . Well done buddy!

Comment

Hi DC. Looks the mutt's nuts amigo. Could you not epoxy the end back on the old cable so you have a spare?

Comment

Thanks guys

DS what a good idea, but too late .....I cut it up to slide it out of it's location hole through the floor.....then had to make the hole bigger to put the new cable in
                          Last edited by dcunn; 05-05-17, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Looking good ??????
                            Stumbling around in the dark
                            Marina based SWB roadster
                            Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Comment

Hi
                              Have just slowly scanned this build diary from the first post - you've done, are doing, a really good job; great fortitude.
                              On the home straight now ....
                              Brian

Learning more about:
                              June '73 Marina based Mk2 Roadster
                              1800 TC; 4 speed gearbox; 4.55:1 differential with 4.5pcd (the rare one!)

Another interest -www.somersetschoolsathletics.org.uk
                              And another - 'Tractor Doctors' skittle team

Comment

Thanks Brian, you are obviously a guy with plenty of patience !

Largest paint jobs are still to come, I've almost finished stripping the bonnet, but both front wings are still put away as I
                                need to think of the logistics of cleaning, painting etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X