Marina Roadster 1.8TC Q67 GJA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marina Roadster 1.8TC Q67 GJA

Dashboard made and instruments trial fitted (many thanks for them Danny, but I had to use my original speedo as it takes the Marina cable)....doesn't look too bad with different sized instruments, and I'll straighten
    them up before final fixing !
    Nose cowl placed on ready for radiator games, but for now it's " recognise and trace those wires" good game, good game, and if you look at earlier pics you'll see that the whole loom
    really needs shortening in many places, as well as any mods I want to make to it.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dcunn View Post
      Dashboard made and instruments trial fitted (many thanks for them Danny, but I had to use my original speedo as it takes the Marina cable)....doesn't look too bad with different sized instruments, and I'll straighten
      them up before final fixing !
      Nose cowl placed on ready for radiator games, but for now it's " recognise and trace those wires" good game, good game, and if you look at earlier pics you'll see that the whole loom
      really needs shortening in many places, as well as any mods I want to make to it.
      The hole in the side of the tunnel what's that for?

Adrian

Comment

I think it was for the speedo cable into the cabin and up, but I think it's better the way I've routed it....providing it doesn't get crunched as the engine/box moves - time will tell !

Comment

Originally posted by dcunn View Post
          I think it was for the speedo cable into the cabin and up, but I think it's better the way I've routed it....providing it doesn't get crunched as the engine/box moves - time will tell !
          Where have you routed it, a pic would be good, as I am thinking of anew angle drive.

Adrian

Comment

That hole will need to be plugged/capped to stop surface water from entering the cockpit.
            A right angle drive is not so easy to fit unless you have access, which means dropping the gearbox. With mine, a brand new custom speedo cable was fitted. Due to a manufacturing error, I needed to remove both the cable and the drive to send them back for evaluation. Without a similar hole a 10minute job would have taken very much longer.
            MOC member since 05/97
            1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
            Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Adrian, your PM box is full. My email addy is in Pitstop, send me yours and we can talk.

Rgds DC

Comment

While you are at plugging/capping to speedo hole to stop surface water from entering the cockpit, it might be a good idea to cap the tunnel as well !!!! or am I stating the obvious....

Comment

Originally posted by fouter View Post
                  While you are at plugging/capping to speedo hole to stop surface water from entering the cockpit, it might be a good idea to cap the tunnel as well !!!! or am I stating the obvious....
                  Or drill a hole in the floor with a stopcock, in case it rains.
                  MOC member since 05/97
                  1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                  1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                  Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                  The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Har Har I'll worry about the plumbing later on

Life has rather got in the way of this project for the last three months, I've only been able to do a bit here and there.

Main time has been spent getting the scuttle and screen lock piece up to an acceptable standard of paint, so :

Paint job finally acceptable on scuttle, and hardened off - Check

Fit Wiper motor tube in scuttle - Check Fit demist tubes & vents in scuttle - Check Fit passenger side (main) dashboard - Check

Fit small dash panel around column shroud - Check

Start checking to ensure wiring all OK and look around - - - wait a minute, I don't think the screen will go in over the wiper thingys !

Bother !

Remove small dash panel around column shroud - Remove passenger side (main) dashboard - Remove demist tubes & vents

Remove Wiper motor tube from scuttle - well, at least wiggle it around a bit, and then slide scuttle back a bit

Fit windscreen and tie temporarily in place - Refit Wiper motor tube in scuttle - Check

Refit demist tubes & vents in scuttle - Check

.......and after some three hours I ran out of time. To be continued
                    Attached Files

Comment

So four months on :
                      The cowl (only) has been painted and the radiator and heater are plumbed in, but look at the different sizes of temp sensor !
                      I had bought what I thought was a standard electrical sensor and then had a surprise when I tried to fit it - so back to the parts shop for this !
                      Attached Files

Comment

An electrical temp sender needs to be 5/8 unf for the B series IIRC - standard BL/Smiths parts bin.
                        But the gauge looks like a capillary unit ??
                        Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                        Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Yes the removed rusted old gauge/system was capillary, new (2nd hand) gauge is electrical, see pic in post #46
                          Just hoping I can get it to work (likewise the rev counter)
                          The old mish mash dash and instruments were past their sell by date.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by dcunn; 12-12-16, 02:19 PM.

Comment

looking good DC

Comment

I totally agree. Made great progress.
                              Bet it's on the road before I finish the interior of Brum.
                              Still bare bones inside. ☺
                              Stumbling around in the dark
                              Marina based SWB roadster
                              Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement guys

Cameron, I think my paintwork is like yours, experience so far says it will need total removal as the underneath stuff is
                                rubbish - however that's a future problem, I will get the mechanical stuff done first

Comment

Working...
                                X