Marina Roadster 1.8TC Q67 GJA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marina Roadster 1.8TC Q67 GJA

Useful things ladders when you've something long to work on !

Due to rust and age corrosion I think it would have been easier to start with a new kit, but hopefully this is the last real big bit of dismantling to be done
    Attached Files

Comment

It's coming on a treat there DC. I dare you to try your luck with taking them indoors for the paint to harden?

Comment

Thanks

Mmmm....who knows ! The doors and bonnet sides are still indoors and much safer in there

Comment

Interesting, remember back at post #66 I said Nitromors was great - I've changed my opinion, it has stripped the bonnet cream OK but will not touch the
          brown, and neither will careful use of a hot air gun.

It's brown paint on aluminium, not a substance involving cloth material so there's no reason why it should stick like................... !

Think I'll go and put some careful scratches on the surface, slather it in Nitromors and cling film and leave to react

Answers on a postcard - or here - please !

Comment

HI DC I have resorted to uses a strip disc - they are like hard scouring pads made out of nylon which you fit on a grinder. They are very very good on ally. I have just stopped on one of my louvered bonnet panels and can tell you the paint is over 1mm thick! It takes about half an hour to strip a bonnet panel. My Berli is almost completely stripped no apart from the tub - dont use the strip disc on grp though!!!

Comment

D.C.
              Maybe use one of the aviation paint strippers something like Synstrip.
              Regards
              Alan

Comment

Marine Strip is a powerful water-soluble paint and anti-fouling stripper designed for marine uses which can remove a number of coats in just one application. It is perfect and safe for use on boat gelcoats It is safe to use on virtually any surfaces...

elbow grease works well!!
                Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Thanks guys, pondering on it

I ran out of elbow grease doing the rear tub, checking stores for more supplies LoL

Comment

I gave up on the gentle technique so went animal with a strip disc - thanks Cameron

Martin, I wonder how much further I can push this, somehow I don't think the wings will get in there when done !
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Re: Marina Roadster 1.8TC Q67 GJA

Ha, I don't know how you get away with it.
                      I like the positioning of the headlight cups, reminds me of something but better not go there.
                      Anyway looking good DC. Didn't get much done myself this weekend as it's been so nice. Took the bikes out today down to Pentewan beach, there was a mini fest, nice day, so many classic minis in one place.

Comment

A different perspective, and hopefully nature will save me from prevailing on her indoors for more drying space
                        Attached Files

Comment

great job Dave - guess you will be looking for your next project soon?

Comment

Thanks Cameron, gotta finish this one first, still a lot to do

Comment

Looking good Dave, you are a lot further on than me. It just shows how much more I have to do.
                              How long have you been on the rebuild? I'm about 6 months in now but didn't do much over the winter.

Comment

Check back to post #1 .....................31 May 2015, but I take breaks from it !

Comment

Working...
                                X