Expansion tank woes.. and a fix!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expansion tank woes.. and a fix!

I was fairly pleased when I ditched the bodged in (to the heater plumbing) modern moulded expansion tank and added an item from Car Builder Solutions. However the tank/bottle managed to jump out of the slide over clip and was left dangling in the engine compartment up against he exhaust manifold (hence the burn/melt marks) so I hastily made up a tray with 'clip' to hold it in place. I binned the black plastic clip in the end and bolted the tray to the side panel, weight is fine with just the tray, bottle and 100ml or so overflow liquid.

When I replace the bodged radiator with something more suitable next winter I'll pop in a properly fitted aluminium expansion tank, but this'll do for know. I can bin the filler in the top hose at that time as well. Pics below.
    Attached Files
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Re: Expansion tank woes.. and a fix!

Good use of the Garden table, LOL

Adrian

Comment

Well the garage is a bit dark, which is my excuse for the sloppy workmanship on that tray.
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Hey it does the job, for me, that's all that matters.

Adrian

Comment

Your not the first person to have one of those tanks fall of the mount. It is listed as an expansion tank but my thoughts are it doesnt like being full of hot water. Which allows the tank to flex too much questioning its suitability to application??.
          Your cradle seems to be the answer to the problem.
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by b.caswell View Post
            Your not the first person to have one of those tanks fall of the mount. It is listed as an expansion tank but my thoughts are it doesnt like being full of hot water. Which allows the tank to flex too much questioning its suitability to application??.
            Your cradle seems to be the answer to the problem.
            Yes, I think that's what happens. I filled it with hot water, the tank gets hot and then a swift push/jolt downwards (think sped bump or kerb) and it deforms pushing past the black plastic mount.

I have contacted Car Builder Solutions about it but not surprisingly they told me they've not had a problem before.

Comment

Cant remember who it was at Stoneleigh with the same problem, At the time I thought they had used a windscreen wash bottle and that was why it didnt like the hot water.
              Last edited by b_caswell; 23-06-15, 12:20 PM.
              Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by b_caswell View Post
                Cant remember who it was at Stoneleigh with the same problem, At the time I thought they had used a windscreen wash bottle and that was why it didnt like the hot water.
                Old thread, but strangely I have just purchased exactly the same expansion tank from Car Builder Solutions.... so looks like I will be making up some industrial strength brackets to keep it in place !

This proves the benefit of the forum & a good search facility, as I would have just mounted the tank with the screws provided had I not read this post
                Triumph Herald 1200 based Roadster
                Bought in 1983 as a running restoration

Comment

That tank looks like those fitted to early Toyotas such as Celicas , Carina & Corollas from the mid 1970's. They fitted to a metal clip (not black plastic ) That metal clip was bolted to the bulkhead. Toyota used them as Ben has quite correctly thought - as Windscreen washer bottles. So they never had hot water which would cause them to deform. If your near a breakers yard, check out some early Toyota's bulkheads and they were held on with bolts which were either 10 or12mm sockets. If you fit the metal clip it may solve your problem providing of course that the clips dimensions are the same, meaning you can revert to your original fitment method.

Comment

That looks like a job for some of those black cable ties - tie the beggar on to it's bracket

Comment

I guess you mean like this !!!

IMG_3630.JPG

Had to make some small bracket extenders to take the cable ties.. mounted on same bolt as tank, after that it was simple & seems to work well

Originally posted by duncan View Post
                      That looks like a job for some of those black cable ties - tie the beggar on to it's bracket

Comment

What's that drive from the bottom of the dist.? Never seen one before.

Comment

Originally posted by h_m_cumming View Post
                          What's that drive from the bottom of the dist.? Never seen one before.
                          Mech rev counter drive take off?

Comment

Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post
                            Mech rev counter drive take off?
                            Yes, custom made cable going between delco dizzy and mg instrument. this is a triumph 4 pot. They don't make them like that any more !!!
                            Last edited by 928cdu; 14-06-18, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X