Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alfa powered Roadster help.

Hi,

I was wondering what you guys with Alfa Romeo powered Roadsters did regarding the speedometer drive.

At the moment the PO of my car simply drilled a hole in the transmission tunnel and the the drive cable pops through into the passenger footwell and then wanders its way up to the dash and onto the Speedo.

I could go down the Electronic Speedo route but would like to keep the original Alfa clocks if possible.

Suggestions much appreciated

Thanks

Derek
    Stumbling around in the dark
    Marina based SWB roadster
    Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Re: Alfa powered Roadster help.

Which gearbox are you using ??

Comment

Originally posted by dbazdavies View Post
      Which gearbox are you using ??
      Sorry, that information would have been helpful ( too many Cobras in the sun today ).

I am using the Alfa 5 speed that came with the engine.

Comment

Just need a cable making up to fit the gearbox and Speedo head - Speedy Cables used to make them but dont know what delivery is like or any other firm !!!

Comment

Try http://www.speedograph-richfield.com/index.html. They have given me excellent service for one off speedo cables

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I have the cable but my problem is in the routing of it. I would take a photo of the present set up but the gearbox is lying on the garage floor at the moment.

When it was in the car it intruded into the passenger footwell and was a bit of an eyesore / annoyance.

I could really use a right angled drive or similar.

I would love to know what you guys did if you used the Alfa box as I have very little space between the tunnel and gearbox.

Comment

I remember that all I did was having a cable made up - will check my current one to see what it looks like..

Comment

From the workshop manual

page 85 item no 4

Comment

This is roughly how the cable sits at the moment. Looking for a neater solution

Once the gearbox is in the cable comes out at more of an angle, about 90 deg, making it protrude into the footwell even more
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Blue Marlin; 26-07-15, 04:02 PM. Reason: Wrong pics uploaded

Comment

I remember mine was fixed underneath the floor board and came up along side the Rev Counter cable in the engine bay which is how my present car is !!!

Comment

Not an Alfa engine but had the same problem with the 1.7 Ital. Made this glassfibre cover which fits under the carpet and guides the cable out through the bulkhead.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by trevorford View Post
                        Not an Alfa engine but had the same problem with the 1.7 Ital. Made this glassfibre cover which fits under the carpet and guides the cable out through the bulkhead.
                        Looks good, think that's the way to go. Will also try to route under the floor when the box is back in the car although I think the bend may be too sharp.

Comment

Is it possible to get a right angle drive like the triumphs use on the overdrive box. Suppose it is a metric thread ??
                          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

I was wondering the same thing myself, and hoping someone had used one before.

I know Jags use them also ( seen them on ebay )

Comment

I mated a Ford Type 9 box to my Alfa engine but had the same issue with the speedo drive cable. I fitted a right angle drive which I seem to remember getting from Westfield and it not being particularly cheap. I'm sure you could get one but may need to adapt it to the Alfa box.

Comment

Working...
                              X