Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

has any body tryed to fit a MX5 into a roadster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: has any body tryed to fit a MX5 into a roadster?

It is slightly different Danny, with a v5 statinga build date of the donor car, if its older than 30 years then it is possible to get a letter of attestation which enables the car to be regd as a car of collection, without needing a 'modern' IVA equiv here in France, the French hate kit cars for some reason although EU legislation gives a thumbs up the French just choose to ignore it, I have heard of a group here trying to challenge this situation!
    The said MX5 car will not be able to obtain a letter of Attestation and as such will have had to pass inspection by DRIRE(don't know what it means) - I don't know if it will keep the donor cars age or be just issue with documentation as of 2016, an interesting point/question!
    Hope this throws some light into this very grey area, my Berly got docs with no probs and as such would imagine if it returned to the UK there would be no probs that way.

Comment

DRIRE stands for Direction Régionale de l'Industrie, de la Recherche et de l'Environnement #French: Regional Directorate for Industry, Research and Environment#

Only found out by googling still none the wiser.
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by danny_nelson View Post
        This is what can become of your Marlin if you sell outside of the UK. Especially France if the V5 states first reg 30 years or over. Sellers choice, I know.
        There are many things that a Marlin can become whilst in the UK. Most frequently a pile of spare parts if the current crop of unregistered kits are anything to go by. The difficulties of getting a car designed 30 years ago through an ITV would mean that the chassis and body would both need to be changed quite significantly in many areas.
        I think it would be far more the case that Marlins sold in Europe would be carefully maintained. The current crop that are Italian registered is testament.
        Just because the car changes country, it does nothing to damage the value of UK cars, they actually reach a larger market and receive broader recognition.
        But you are absolutely right, it's sellers choice, but in my case I would initially register a UK plated car to my UK address. And then once I have all the documents, in my name, ship the vehicle to Spain. Buyers choice.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

DRIRE stands for Direction Régionale de l'Industrie, de la Recherche et de l'Environnement #French: Regional Directorate for Industry, Research and Environment#

It is the equivalent organisation as DoT, and it carries out IVA type testing on cars with documentation but having gone thro significant modification etc, it is to regularise Carte Grisse (V5) documentation!

Comment

IMG_20160929_163659.jpgIMG_20160929_163626.jpg
            just a quick not that after a few runs ( very nice on the road and in 30 deg. cent )
            the triumph dolomite sprint radiator turned sideways works very well

Comment

well done! Inspirational!

Comment

Now down to 17,000€

Comment

With the GBP dropping like a stone post Brexit referendum, UK registered Marlins become increasingly attractive to the European market.
                  MOC member since 05/97
                  1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                  1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                  Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                  The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

vendu. Sold.
                    To late it has gone

Comment

bravo!

Comment

Hi all
                        had a new hood made for the new owner.
                        They always look odd but lots of visibility and keeps one dryIMG_20161130_111702.jpgIMG_20161130_111622.jpg
                        new owner is happy,
                        he says that the car sticks to the road like glue.

Comment

Re: has any body tried to fit a MX5 into a roadster?

Originally posted by paul S View Post
                          Hi
                          I've got an old marina based roadster for a complet re build and
                          i'm thinking maybe the MX5 engine and box might fit.
                          Has this already been tryed??

Thanks Paul
                          Hi Everyone, it's mid Feb 2018. I am about to get serious on my complete rebuild of my Marlin Marina 1.8cc based Roadster from rubber upwards. It was previously registered, running and passed all MOTs, before my 'incident' some 18 years ago.

Have a running MX5 1.6 MK1 on my driveway (no MOT or wings, with the usual rusted body and under side). My plan is to take engine, gearbox, fuel system, ECU (obviously), steering (somehow) and as much of the electrics and instruments as possible.

So whats the status of the earlier builds I have seen in this thread?

Has anyone managed to complete and license a Marina based Marlin (or any type if that's what was achieved) with MX5 components? Would love to be connected to these talented and determined folk (I'm based on planet Milton Keynes)

My questions:

1. What issues encountered - mechanical?
                          How were they overcome?

2. What issues encountered - electrical?
                          How were they overcome?

3. What issues encountered - bodywork?
                          How were they overcome?

4. What would they do differently in hindsight?
                          And why?

And if they are not too shy, how much have they had to spend to have a car on the road, registered with a valid MOT?

I'll go first, my first build (all in, including Marina based Kit, donor car, internal trimming, clocks and new seats plus full paint job) was circa £7,500 back in 1990.

Regards,

David.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X